Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst ... 51517181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloodborne (PS4)

1. I'm really loving this so far, either way. Very surprised at how open the first world (?) seems to be, and the combat is great, fast, and just different enough from Souls to be really exciting. And the setting is really really well-executed, even if it isn't my favorite. You still have all this huge oppressive architecture all over the place, the enemies are gross, and everything is so visually dense. It has the key things I like about Dark Souls' aesthetics.

Really can't wait to play more. Shame I have such a busy week.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    What is down the elevator? That is where I thought the boss was going to be, which is what led me to run into him elsewhere. I think that's the only part of the first level I haven't explored, though I can't be sure I didn't miss something like smashing the rubble to drop down onto the cheetah/dogs in cages.

edit: Also, GTFO with that ancient Japan and especially high fantasy nonsense. This setting is the business.
    If you've been down in the sewer with the giant pig, there is a giant ladder that leads up from the entrance to the pig tunnel. The top of that ladder brings you near the the bottom of the elevator. The elevator connects you back top side for a nice little short cut.

I missed the sewer entirely. Holy crap is that first level large.

edit: Oooh... now I remember where the entrance is... past the woman in the house.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 25 Mar 2015 at 12:51 PM.

4. Game is pissing me off. Every time I get somewhere in level 1, I die and then just get madder and rush harder

bogus shit

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I missed the sewer entirely. Holy crap is that first level large.

edit: Oooh... now I remember where the entrance is... past the woman in the house.
    Yup, it was my favorite area of the level.

Clearing the sewer gave me enough Blood Echoes to get the full new armor set, which I then used to kick the boss' ass. One down, God knows how many to go.

7. Yoshi it looks like Joe answered your questions mostly, and yes I later opened the shortcuts so that getting to both of the first area bosses was much quicker (although still perilous). The things you use for upgrading are Blood (something) Shards, and they follow a similar path to titanite and past Souls materials (ie. the first upgrade takes 3 pieces, the next takes 5, the next 8 etc). There are more than enough strewn throughout the level to upgrade your first two weapons, and sometimes enemies drop them too. I have my main weapon upgraded to +2 right now and my pistol at +1, and I've only just begun the "second" area.

The bottom of that elevator leads to a big bridge with a trap, the big rolling fireball. After that there are 4 enemies: a hulk guy with a brick, a normal guy with a shield, then two of the long limb ghoul looking guys. The ghoul guys have a HUGE chance to drop the upgrade materials, literally 4 out of 6 trips through that area gave me one. Right after those last two enemies is a staircase leading up to the second boss, who makes the first boss seem really tame by comparison. You'll recognize him if you've watched any videos leading up to the game.

Being able to cancel attacks with a backdash or sidestep is HUGE in this game. There are so many little touches like that that just tighten up the experience. They really did a bang up job with this game.

I could have done without that nasty surprise during the second boss fight.

9. Guys. This game is pretty good you guys.

I died like 30 times trying to kill that fat jerk down the ladder and around the corner from the lamp, and he's still breathing. By the end of the night I managed to open the gate and made an attempt on the boss so I can level up now. I'm not sure where the regular entrance to the sewer is, but I fell into it by accident and got treated to some awesome bat-wolf people.

I'm glad I chose the whip after seeing Yoshi's post, it's pretty great. Are there any amazing weapons waiting just beyond the boss or should I upgrade it a few times? I leveled it up once already.

So far the only things I don't like are the load times and how monsters will "steal" your souls occasionally. I miss clunking around in straight up medieval armor but the monsters are ridiculous so we're good. I just hope eventually I don't have to look like some pirate asshole all the time.

I've only picked up one additional weapon, and I plan to stick with the cane, since I am using a Skill build, and it has the best bonus.