Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Talks About The Industry: Your D1 Purchase Doesn't Matter

1. TNL Talks About The Industry: Your D1 Purchase Doesn't Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I agree with that as well, but I'd take the different font over those awful red Greatest Hits cases.
    Well, since we are trying to fix everything that's wrong with the industry, let's eliminate the greatest hits and platinum hits lines altogether. Keep something in print for a year, discontinue it physically yet keep it available digitally. Retailers would be happy because they'd have to carry less product (with less margin), publishers would be happy because they get to keep their stuff on the virtual retail shelf forever without manufacturing costs, and there would be more of a "gotta get it now" mindset from all of the idiots like me who like physical releases.
    But mostly I'd like to see things go out of print rather than get devalued six months to a year after release.
    Case in point: there are 6 niche vita titles I'd like to get right now. But I know that since no one is going to buy them, I will be able to pick them up for half price in a few months, and then digitally for a quarter of that price in a sale in a year.

Works for me.

3. Alright, let's draft a letter and forward it to MS, Sony, and Nintendo.

Thirded. The motion passes.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Case in point: there are 6 niche vita titles I'd like to get right now. But I know that since no one is going to buy them, I will be able to pick them up for half price in a few months, and then digitally for a quarter of that price in a sale in a year.
    Part of the problem.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

6. Not really. You can't blame the consumer for not consuming when:
    1. you can only consume one thing at a time, so buying everything at once poses no benefit.
    2. there is no incentive for immediate purchase of every item aside from...bragging rights?
    3. the relationship between "time one must wait for a price drop" and "the size of the price drop" is "short" and "huge."
    4. after months of the Vita seeing few or no releases, 6 niche titles are released within 90 days of each other.

Can I afford to buy all of them now? Yes. But how is it to my benefit? Will it ensure Conception III gets released over here? No.

At best I might catch a single title before it disappears and becomes a collector's item. But history has shown that the likelihood of that happening is small,
    and the amount of money I save by waiting for everything to drop to $19.99 will more than cover the premium that that one rarity might one day command.

Publishers have fucked themselves by following the dumb business model that they've chosen to follow, especially the niche publishers.
    I have ZERO interest in Valhalla Knights 3 (as I'm sure most people do). But if Xseed were to say,
    "hey, we are only releasing 20000 copies of this in a nice deluxe package (mini artbook/soundtrack) for $49.99" then I would preorder 2.
    Meanwhile, I would be highly surprised if they managed to sell half of those numbers @ $39.99.
    People don't want shit until they can't get it, we've all seen it happen time and time again.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 13 May 2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: screw you dino butt.

Once my eyes glazed over from reading that post, I was able to see that its true value was the right-facing alligator head it forms when you stare at the blob of text.

8. ! Postception

9. Summary: Sony is a business and not a charity. We cannot play every video game simultaneously, but would purchase excess if proper incentive is given.

Efficiency!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Not really. You can't blame the consumer for not consuming when:
    1. you can only consume one thing at a time, so buying everything at once poses no benefit.
    2. there is no incentive for immediate purchase of every item aside from...bragging rights?
    3. the relationship between "time one must wait for a price drop" and "the size of the price drop" is "short" and "huge."
    4. after months of the Vita seeing few or no releases, 6 niche titles are released within 90 days of each other.

Can I afford to buy all of them now? Yes. But how is it to my benefit? Will it ensure Conception III gets released over here? No.

At best I might catch a single title before it disappears and becomes a collector's item. But history has shown that the likelihood of that happening is small,
    and the amount of money I save by waiting for everything to drop to $19.99 will more than cover the premium that that one rarity might one day command.

Publishers have fucked themselves by following the dumb business model that they've chosen to follow, especially the niche publishers.
    I have ZERO interest in Valhalla Knights 3 (as I'm sure most people do). But if Xseed were to say,
    "hey, we are only releasing 20000 copies of this in a nice deluxe package (mini artbook/soundtrack) for $49.99" then I would preorder 2.
    Meanwhile, I would be highly surprised if they managed to sell half of those numbers @ $39.99.
    People don't want shit until they can't get it, we've all seen it happen time and time again.
    I pay full price for the things I really like because I want more of them to be made. I really don't care about something becoming rare, or worth money down the line. I say Company X is releasing a game I like, I can afford to buy it at full price so I will, so that they know I like this and want more of it. Does it work every time, no it doesn't, but it's about the best way I know of to let them know what type of games I want.

To me it's the same as supporting a local store. If I like it, get good customer service, I'll support. I may not get the best price every time but I can afford to pay a little bit more to help keep something I like around.

If you prefer to wait for everything to get cheap, including Niche stuff that needs those full price sales and think you're not part of the problem that's fine. It's like the folks who bought horse armor DLC and thought they weren't part of the problem either.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.