Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 717192021222325 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminator: Genisys

1. As I said, Arnold was great. And yeah, the explanation for him being old was a good idea.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. I'm in the camp that thinks it was better than 3 and Salvation.

This is the perfect example of a movie where if you go into it expecting not much at all, you may find yourself enjoying it. Going into the movie I fully expected it to blow but ended up being pleasantly surprised.

Looking at it the movie in its simplest form, my biggest complain was the humor. It felt so misplaced and cringeworthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    If I'm going to be taxed, I'd rather it be to build a Death Star than to feed lazy Wookiees.

3. I thought the movie was decent, at least in terms of action and seeing Arnold own the role again.

His T-800 seemed a bit too emotional in parts of T3 but here he's back to his T2 form and he seemed like he was in good physical shape. Emelia Clark also pulled off the Sarah Conner role well despite her extremely youthful features and petite build working against her and I agree with Dolemite about Jai Courtney's physicality being a mismatch for the role. I wasn't particularly taken with Jason Clarke's John Connor either but I didn't think Courtney was terrible by any means, there just wasn't that much to work with since Pops, Sarah, and John were given the bulk of the story and action scenes. Granted, Kyle had a few good character moments such as when he was competitively loading the bullets in the gun with Pops and learning about being John's dad but sadly the character got little room to breathe and was relegated to a supporting role.

In getting in all the fan service at the beginning the movie they had to rush through its story and characters which was a shame. They should have just cut out Kyle and explored Pops and Sarah's altered back story from the beginning leading up to Kyle arriving. Also as much as I actually liked J.K. Simmons' character the director or editor should have cut him out altogether because he didn't really fulfill any type of character arc nor was he of great use to Sarah and Kyle. When it came to John Conner, it seemed like turning him into a cyborg was motivated more by shock value than adding a new dimension to the character. I personally would have much preferred for him to fight against Skynet's programming to make him less of an outright villain and more of a tragic yet noble figure.

There were a few other issues such as dodgy SFX laden scenes (2017 helicopters maneuvering like jets), a flimsy plot in which nobody seemed to have any issue with Genisys taking all their shit and main framing it simply for convenience sake, and the Windows phone product placement being hilariously blatant.

Ultimately cramming 3 movies into one just isn't going to yield good results in the characterization department even with a cast this small so while the fan service was cool it came at a cost. Oddly enough despite the brainlessness of the movie I still managed to enjoy it on a base level. Maybe it's because I had lower expectations for it or I see a bit more potential in the franchise to do more with the characters in a sequel even though it had pretty much a "happy ending".

Like any other movie I may see the movie a few more times and enjoy it more or dislike it more but so far I'd give it a 6.5/10.
    Last edited by Will; 11 Jul 2015 at 01:51 PM.

At the theater. About to do this.

5. Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    At the theater. About to do this.
    Maaaan I wouldn't fuck this movie with your dick.

How was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Its ok. Not as good as the first two. Dolemite has already mentioned all the dumb things.

The human relationships felt a little flat if not like something you'd see off of Walking Dead. I just didn't care and they weren't shot or written well.

The robots were good. There was some good fighting.

Its kind of like a Godzilla movie of Terminator films. A handful of good fights, and I wouldn't watch it for the plot, writing, or characters.

So, what are the theories on pops?

I figure he is skynet. Skynet sent back a blank version of itself so it would live on regardless of which side won, breaking the cycle that always kills it.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    So, what are the theories on pops?

I figure he is skynet. Skynet sent back a blank version of itself so it would live on regardless of which side won, breaking the cycle that always kills it.
    That would be an interesting development as long as the sequel (IF it happens) doesn't repeat the same beats this movie did with John Conner. Skynet seemed to have something else up its sleeve when it was talking to Kyle and Sarah so maybe Pops is an unknowing carrier of it's program in case the stupid Genisys thing fell through.

BTW after watching T3 again I have to say that it hasn't held up for me since first watching it. Arnold's T-800 lacked the great learning arc of T2 and he had a lot of hammy lines that tried too hard to be funny. T3 was pretty much the Alien 3 of the Terminator movies in that it ended on such a downer with the "bad ending". Granted, it had it's good points like the action sequences and Nick Stahl's John Conner who was probably the best character of the movie but it felt rather dour in comparison to the first two.

10. What the fuck happened to 'destroy every chip'? Why doesn't "Pops" melt down at the end of this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!