Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Soylent

People are full of nutrients.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I get a huge kick out of the critiques of this. There is absolutely NO WAY you could ever hope to put fruits or vegetables in the blender with this stuff. IMPOSSIBEL. Nutritional yeast? NEVER. Brotein powder? NOT A CHANCE!Also, you can ONLY drink soylent if you purchase any. There will be ZERO eating or drinking of anything else. CAPS
    They started it. If it's just another smoothie base, that's cool, but don't market it as a replacement for every meal that has everything your body needs right out of the pack.

3. You can make your own. They published the ingredients when they first went public with it. There's something like 1400 recipes now.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    They started it. If it's just another smoothie base, that's cool, but don't market it as a replacement for every meal that has everything your body needs right out of the pack.
    They didn't market it is a replacement for every meal. Bloggers did that for them. The very first video they put out made it clear that they weren't saying to replace every meal with soylent.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    They didn't market it is a replacement for every meal. Bloggers did that for them. The very first video they put out made it clear that they weren't saying to replace every meal with soylent.
    Seems the opposite to me, with regular food just being for fun like cookies and alcohol.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/05/12/140512fa_fact_widdicombe?currentPage=all
    He imagines that, in the future, “we’ll see a separation between our meals for utility and function, and our meals for experience and socialization.”
    I noticed a bag of baby carrots: food! Rhinehart, who refers to food that is not Soylent as “recreational food,” explained that one of his roommates had bought them as a fun snack.
    You're right in that they aren't advocating for the complete removal of food as we know it, but he does heavily imply that people can live entirely on soylent as a complete meal replacement (at least, once they've created enough varieties to cover different situations and needs) even though regular food would realistically never go away.

If it does work for everyone and catches on, I'm imagining reverting back to the days of skinny = poor and fat = wealthy and that amuses me.

6. Fuck that, I want to eat $1 cheeseburgers every day, not Food Substitute every day and $20 Recreational Food on the weekend/holidays.

7. Soylent makes complete sense for people in places where growing or shipping real food is costly or hard. Disaster relief for example.

But this goal—to separate healthy eating and food nutrition—I think is fundamentally misguided. One of the pleasures of food is the textures—crunch, ooze, juices, etc as well as the taste. There's a mental component to it. So to me the idea of separating the nutrition part from the enjoyment and experience might fundamentally kill a product like this for widespread adoption. I hope whole foods will always be king.

The way Josh describes it is probably more realistic. I've read a lot on these guys and watched their keynotes at YCombinator. They absolutely believe this will take over as the new norm for consumption. But that's ambition. They very much know the short term success of a product like Soylent is in dire circumstances normal food isn't able to get to.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

I think they are going to sell a lot of this to crazies with bunkers.

I'm not that crazy, but yeah, solyent and canned veggies for emergencies. I'm not prepared for the apocalypse, but the weather has been known to knock out power for weeks at a time here.

10. Josh,

Do you personally feel any different consuming it?