Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1525272829303133 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat X (Android, iOS, PC, PS4, One)

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    The part I'm enjoying is that I've seen people complain for so long that fighting games just need good, tight mechanics and all that unlocking stuff and extraneous fluff is just unnecessary crap that bloats the home ports. Now here we are where the fighting games that focus just on mechanics are getting passed over for MKX, in which the presentation is crazy high and just so happens to include a fighting game.
    Please tell me you are referring to Guilty Gear and not SF4.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

2. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    I'm not offended by your being offended, but if you're going to take that stance, and be so adamant about how the game's violence reminds of reality, then it seems like there must be a lot of newer-era games you'll never touch.
    IAWTP.

3. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox View Post
    If you are able to view such content superficially and be titillated by how silly and outrageous it is, then I might suggest you live a doughy, prosaic life free of human cruelty or suffering. Which, you know, good for you. I think we'd all like to. But to suggest nothing like this happens in real life is absurd. I guess I just can't divorce cartoonish violence from the idea of Jax jamming his own daughter's arms into her torso, ripping her face back along the jaw, and smugly putting out his cigar on her now exposed tongue.

That's the sort of shit South American drug lords do to their enemies, to terrorize and inform that they are willing to do the most inhuman thing you can (or might not even) imagine. When would it cross the line for you, Chux? What if there were children characters? Animals? What if they added a sexual component to the violence? I mean, a good ol' skullfuck seems pretty inline with what they're doing, theme-wise. It's just a cartoon and the ideas don't mean anything, so just depict whatever you can to up the ante.
    wat

4. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    What is the line that separates the fiction from fact? Because, if you can see reality in the fake violence you're watching, we could say that Street Fighter is unplayable because of its reminders of violence against women, or Ikari Warriors due to conflicts in war-torn third-world countries.

I'm not offended by your being offended, but if you're going to take that stance, and be so adamant about how the game's violence reminds of reality, then it seems like there must be a lot of newer-era games you'll never touch.
    Yeah, but that's not the case at all (me being offended with violence in general). Which is why I'm making a big deal about this, as I think it's an important distinction that's getting glossed over. Intent is a big deal, especially when you're communicating an idea. Violence against women is not a theme in SF, but martial arts competition is. Neither good nor bad, but there's no real commentary in IW about the depravities of war, and it doesn't take a stance, it's just a setting for you to plausibly destroy enemies.

Realism is not actually the issue. The gore doesn't bother me, it's the disrespect and exaltation in humiliation/desecration. That aspect is what ties it to real life atrocities, and that wasn't really something present in earlier versions of MK. Like I said before, the Brutalities fit well in the game, they are consistent with MK's themes. The fatalities took a different direction, and I think it's to the franchise's detriment.

5. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Please tell me you are referring to Guilty Gear and not SF4.
    I'm referring to GG being good, but KI is also just a fighting game with no real extras. SFIV did fantastically. The main reason for SFV not being exciting (yet) is because it looks like yet another reiteration of a version we've already played and bought upgrades for.

I kind of agree with FurryFox here.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    I'm referring to GG being good, but KI is also just a fighting game with no real extras. SFIV did fantastically. The main reason for SFV not being exciting (yet) is because it looks like yet another reiteration of a version we've already played and bought upgrades for.
    I was just making sure you weren't saying that SF4 has tight mechanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

8. I think Furryfox only thinks realism isn't the issue. I can't watch this fatality and not see how it would fit right in MKX when the eyeballs don't look like cartoon eyeballs and the body contorting isn't being done to a low polygon potato sack. The dynamic camera angles and the closeup of the corpse are there. You just can't called the closeup of the corpse "grisly".

Anyways, I can't sign off on this being a crass turn rather than an expected evolution of the fatality. Does the drumroll and the screen darken of the original MK1 fatalites not imply spectacle? Weren't fatalities always done to already defeated opponents?

I think he's bumming about how much work is put into mutilating an already dead body.

10. I'm also appalled by the gratuitous desecration of fake bodies in this game. I'm going to write a letter!!
    Last edited by EvilMog; 19 Apr 2015 at 10:11 PM.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle