Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homefront: The Revolution (PC, PS4, One)

Homefront: The Revolution (PC, PS4, One)

Quote Originally Posted by Joystiq
    Rumors of a resistance are true. Crytek's sequel to the 2011 shooter Homefront from developer Kaos Studios has been officially announced. Co-published by Crytek and Deep Silver, Homefront: The Revolution is coming to PC, Xbox One and PS4 sometime in 2015.

Taking place four years into the occupation of the US by Korean forces – as portrayed in the original game – Homefront: The Revolution follows a new set of characters as they battle for freedom throughout the war-torn streets of Philadelphia.

By recruiting resistance fighters and using guerrilla tactics in an open-world environment, players can terrorize KPA troops and attempt to gain the upper hand either alone or along with friends in online co-op.

Crytek had originally been developing the sequel for THQ, prior to the publisher dissolving. When the publisher's properties were sold, Crytek purchased the franchise to preserve the work its team had put into the title. The Homefront sequel is in development at Crytek UK, formerly Free Radical.
    Link

2. I liked the original Homefront for what it was. There was something compelling about seeing suburbia turned into a battleground, particularly because suburbia is so universal -- it could be anywhere in America, and look similar.

This seems very different. Philadelphia means a lot to me because it's my home town, but it's not going to have that same impact for a lot of people. But the open world thing could prove interesting. The original was all about scripted set pieces with almost no exploration. I'm guessing this will probably be more semi-open like Crysis than open like Fallout 3.

Are you sure that's Philadelphia? I see rain and I have it on good authority that it's always sunny there. Lame joke but I just woke up.

I'm surprised Homefront's getting a sequel. Didn't the first game sell poorly by FPS standards?

4. From wiki:
    THQ announced an estimated 1 million copies sold across North America, Europe and Asia Pacific markets. As of 3 May 2011 it had shipped 2.6 million units to retail since launch.
    I would say that by FPS standards, it did poorly, but not awful. THQ did announce the sequel before they went under.

5. They spent a crap ton of money on it, so it performed like trash.

6. Did anybody here actually play it? I don't mean go through the campaign and spit it out, I mean go online and really get into it?

I don't remember hearing any of the regular FPS Guys talking about it.

7. I didn't even finish the Campaign.

It seemed OK, I just got sidetracked.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    Did anybody here actually play it? I don't mean go through the campaign and spit it out, I mean go online and really get into it?

I don't remember hearing any of the regular FPS Guys talking about it.
    I did. The online was pretty much Frontline 2, and it was pretty good, but, at least on Xbox, the community playing it dropped off pretty fast.

9. Homefront was the game that most of the people I knew who bought it bitched about the hilariously short offline campaign and the "not call of duty enough" online aspect.
    So it failed to satisfy either FPS camp. Even at $19.99 it is a hard sell.

10. The offline mode was very, very Call of Duty, but the online was totally Frontlines: Fuel of War. I do remember it being very short, but I also don't remember Call of Duty's single player taking me more than 4 or 5 hours either.