Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone gaming on a 4K TV?

1. Get an 80" like I did, better than 4K.

2. 4K UR NOT E
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

3. I was listening to a Maximum PC podcast that was talking about 4K monitors for gaming. They were saying that the current models could only do 30 fps in 4K mode and it wasn't all that great for PC gaming at the moment.

The requirements for a PC capable of gaming at 4K (high settings) would be at least a couple of (6 GB) GTX 780 Ti graphics cards. A single Titan could only run 4K at medium settings and would totally defeat the purpose of gaming in 4K.

Over at Kotaku, this guy put together a build with a couple of R9-290x video cards. He has one of the few 4K monitors that is capable of running at 4K @ 60 Hz. A single R9-290x got destroyed at 4K resolutions.

http://kotaku.com/i-built-a-4k-ultra...-it-1564135136
    Last edited by gamevet; 03 Jun 2014 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Get an 80" like I did, better than 4K.
    The bigger the screen, the more resolution matters.

Early adopters get hosed. No exceptions.

I just got a 720p set last year. It looks pretty fucking good! Too bad people often care more about resolution than accurate color reproduction.

7. Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Early adopters are always nuts about that shit. I went to the AVS forums looking for info on the TV and there are some seriously OCD motherfuckers up in that thread.

At the end of the day, minor flashlighting, clouding, or buggy firmware will occur with a new run of TV's. One thing that I AM keenly aware of is that you should not delete any channels from the channel guide portion of the menu, because it can cause a reset loop that does effectively brick it. It's so hidden in the menu though -- I'd have never tried to do something like that.

Regardless, that's all shit that can get fixed with firmware updates. Stuff like the video quality? The thing looks absolutely gorgeous compared to the LNT4671 from only 7 years ago. Same resolution, but the difference is night and day.

Word of advice though, if you're planning on using it primarily for games, you should make each input "PC" so it reduces input lag by disabling a lot of the video processing. That or put it in "Game" mode. You won't have access to as much video options when you do but the input lag will go down to the ~35ms range.
    Do not read AVS if you are looking for info on new TVs. They could take a 500" 32k tv forged by Baby Jesus himself and find four pixels of clouding.

8. Well, I mean it DID have four pixels of clouding.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    The bigger the screen, the more resolution matters.
    I agree, but let me rephrase. I don't think there is an 80" 4k set (or even if it is, I am sure Compass wouldn't want to pay the price). Given the choice of a smaller 4k set or a bigger 1080p, I would get the 1080p. 4k is too new, and virtually no source means you are just paying for upscaling. I am sure the picture will be better but I like the impact of watching movies/gaming on a huge TV set.

Of course, you can go bigger with a projector but then you need (ideally) a dedicated HT room. I will do that one of these days when I get my bonus.

10. I just want a large monitor with minimal lag.
    High end tv's are almost always shitty for gaming.