Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone gaming on a 4K TV?

1. Question Anyone gaming on a 4K TV?

I'm long overdue for a new set (see, I still call them "sets"), so I can splurge a bit. A pretty nice 55" Samsung 4K TV isn't *that* much more than their best 60" 1080p model. There's not a lot of 4K content now, but Netflix is supposed to be ramping up over the next couple years.

But if 1080p games look crappy upscaled, or there's tons of lag I'm not going to bother. Does anyone have any hands-on experience? I searched the interwebs, but didn't find much concrete info. I did find a lot of bickering about how PS4 doesn't output 4K. (No shit.)

Thanks in advance. Feel free to point me towards an existing thread. Can't really do searches on two characters ("4K").

2. Wait. Years away from a significant amount of 4k content, especially if you want to game with a console on it. They'll just be way better and cheaper by the time it's worth it.

3. Yeah, with all of the lag introduced with fancypants flatscreens I'd let them iron this business out. If you were just using it for TV/Movies I'd say go for it, but we know this is for games.

4. Wait until HDMI 1.4 or 2.0. The lag is a factor. I myself was debating this recently. The best Samsung non 4k is the H7150 line this year, right? I recently ordered the 60 inch version of it and it looks absolutely crazy.

IMO, 1080p is still the way to go for now. Also, curved is a fad.

The best gaming displays for the near future are going to be 1440p monitors with G-SYNC, like this one.

6. I have had my eye on that exact monitor.

However, I'm thinking that the 800 dollar price tag is more about exploiting the "Pro-Gamer" marketing aesthetic. Like the Gunnar Optiks of gaming monitors. I'll wait for a competitor with less of a stick up its ass.

7. Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Wait until HDMI 1.4 or 2.0. The lag is a factor. I myself was debating this recently. The best Samsung non 4k is the H7150 line this year, right? I recently ordered the 60 inch version of it and it looks absolutely crazy.

IMO, 1080p is still the way to go for now. Also, curved is a fad.
    Right. 60" 7150. Same one I was all ready to pull the trigger on last weekend, then started second-guessing when I saw the 4ks in the store. So you're happy with it? Amazon has as many bad reviews as good ones. Apparently the firmware is buggy. I don't think I'd use all those features much anyway. I never watch TV. I'd probably use the Netflix app to keep from having to turn my PS3 on. I'm scared of flashlighting, which at least one person complains about...

I think the curved screens look cool as heck, but probably not the best choice for games. Also more suited to a bigger place. 60" in my place is already pushing it.

8. Early adopters are always nuts about that shit. I went to the AVS forums looking for info on the TV and there are some seriously OCD motherfuckers up in that thread.

At the end of the day, minor flashlighting, clouding, or buggy firmware will occur with a new run of TV's. One thing that I AM keenly aware of is that you should not delete any channels from the channel guide portion of the menu, because it can cause a reset loop that does effectively brick it. It's so hidden in the menu though -- I'd have never tried to do something like that.

Regardless, that's all shit that can get fixed with firmware updates. Stuff like the video quality? The thing looks absolutely gorgeous compared to the LNT4671 from only 7 years ago. Same resolution, but the difference is night and day.

Word of advice though, if you're planning on using it primarily for games, you should make each input "PC" so it reduces input lag by disabling a lot of the video processing. That or put it in "Game" mode. You won't have access to as much video options when you do but the input lag will go down to the ~35ms range.

9. Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    You won't have access to as much video options when you do but the input lag will go down to the ~35ms range.
    Mzo just twitched.

10. I don't know if there's really any large TV's out there that go down to the crazy levels you see with today's computer monitors. I've seen Sony's that go down to ~17. But seriously, at around 35 you're not gonna notice it unless you're a Sperger King