Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81820212223 LastLast

Thread: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    So basically you moved, hit a trigger and you got contextual backstory (or main story progression) while still controlling your character?
    As I recall the event occurs independently of your character. You might just find the body.
    If you are saying that nothing has changed since Morrowind
    Nope.

Opaque was the only one to bring up a real example against what I said, but this isn't the first time in this thread people are trying so hard to argue semantics they miss the point. Almost a social experiment in its own right.

2. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    As I recall the event occurs independently of your character. You might just find the body.Nope.

Opaque was the only one to bring up a real example against what I said, but this isn't the first time in this thread people are trying so hard to argue semantics they miss the point. Almost a social experiment in its own right.
    You're not explaining your point correctly then.

You think Rockstar and ND aren't advancing storytelling and only throw money at it. People have given examples saying they don't agree, and every single one you've said no that's not what we're talking about. That doesn't count. That doesn't count. If anything you're the one playing the semantics angle.

Then you gave an example that's not new or exciting or different in any way (maybe I'm really not understanding, but that example sounds really bland). And it's convenient that when someone did give an example that you agree with (maybe?), you ignore it instead of acknowledge it.

I'm still not sure what your angle is besides winning an internet argument. You're giving vague answers and when someone responses assuming what your meaning is you say 'nope'.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

3. People aren't giving examples, that's the problem. Opaque did, gamevet just kept talking about how he likes a script, and there's a couple vague comments about how there's some other narrative somewhere.

I said nope to Morrowind because I don't think that game really tried much which is new and has been outdone by many other games; they did a good job world building but it lacks in a lot of ways. It just happened to have an example of the world going on around the player in a non-direct fashion that the player could still interact with, like the Hitman games tend to do. Trying to pin down my examples and twist them into saying X is a shining point in storytelling that's better than Y games is off track.

I originally did not directly address Opaque's example because I was expecting more to come, and then could see how they all lined up. Enemies being able to variably comment on player actions is a pretty cool thing and a nice advancement, as I'm guessing it's more dynamic than old sports games with too-often-repeated comments. That sort of thing would be great to see in more games.

4. Who are you supposed to be, Barney Miller?

5. I think the examples pointed out were ND doing mocap for VO which was new, script for TLOU not just told in cutscenes, there was a lot of dialogue that happened as you played, and their tone and character models reacted differently as the characters got more comfortable with each other, etc.
    I haven't played GTA in a while and I guess there were no examples given for that.

But even those examples I think refute your statement that they've done nothing but pay more money. I mean, it all boils down to recording lines and programming things to happen. It's pretty clear that people are talking about different things, which is why I wondering what From and Bethesda are doing. I suppose I want examples from the games you're talking about (AKA you're not explaining yourself so maybe I can figure it out that way).

Like I said originally, it sounded like you just preferred scripts that didn't play out exactly the same no matter what you as a player did or decided. Or maybe you prefer worlds to be more immersive, so the story being told isn't just about your character, but the entire game universe? Having lots of things that don't affect your character/story directly but flesh out the world?
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

6. This was a good game.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Better than 2?

8. I'd say so, but I loathed the ending area of 2 enough that it colors my whole view of the game.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. The area or the bullet sponges filling it?

10. The whole yeti nonsense.
    Boo, Hiss.