Page 1 of 20 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Fox Zero + Guard (Wii U)

Star Fox Zero + Guard (Wii U)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer
    An interview with Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed the existence of a Star Fox game for Wii U, which will presumably be unveiled in full during this evening's Nintendo Digital Event broadcast.

Star Fox will be controlled using the Wii U Game Pad's tilt controls for your Arwing fighter, which can once again transform into a ground-based Landmaster tank. There's a new vehicle type too - a two-player controlled helicopter.

Today's report, published and quickly pulled offline by Time Magazine, suggests we'll also see two experimental new IPs from Miyamoto tonight.

First up is Project Giant Robot, which will star giant skyscraper-sized robots. You control the game by angling the Wii U GamePad to manoeuvre your automaton's body, then using the control sticks to jab and punch.

Your GamePad shows a first-person view from your robot, while the TV shows a zoomed-out look at the battle in progress.

Then there's Project Guard, a tower defense game set around the map of a fortress. You tap the GamePad screen to switch between armed security cameras to blast enemies trying to invade.

"We originally began working with Star Fox back on Wii, and we had a small group of people experimenting with it for many years, maybe about six years," Miyamoto revealed. "But we didn't find an idea that really brought that together for the Wii. So instead we moved experimentation to the Wii U using some of the same assets. It's been maybe 6 to 10 months that we've been experimenting with it."

Star Fox is said to still be a year away from release and may launch in separate parts - more akin to a TV series of missions, rather than a full filmic release, Miyamoto concluded.
    UPDATE 6.00pm Nintendo has now confirmed the existence of a Wii U version of Star Fox (still officially untitled at this point) in a press release sent to Eurogamer.
    Link

I'll take what I can get, but this is one of very few series that would actually benefit from the 3DS hardware.

2. It'd be funny if Miyamoto puts all this effort into making two screens work (or not) with Star Fox, and everyone just ignores the wiipad screen and tracks aiming by shooting non-stop. You'd still have to steer and aim independently though. Which sounds like it might be fun. Also sounds like that might be too hard for a mass audience, though.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_fatima View Post
    Also sounds like that might be too hard for a mass audience, though.
    Good

4. Not a problem for me and you unless Miyamoto comes to that conclusion and decides to flip the tea table.

That's a fair point. Hopefully they are targeting this at the "core" audience (hi, ARBM!).

As long as I have the option to use non-tilt controls I'm in. HD Starfox would be my dream game if made correctly.

7. Yep. I loved the hell out of the SNES one. Hard to play now actually, it runs pretty crappy

8. Experimenting with it for six years? Jeez.

Anyway I'm REALLY happy to hear about this, I hope this is a return to form for the series even with it's supposed serial approach.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Link

I'll take what I can get, but this is one of very few series that would actually benefit from the 3DS hardware.
    I didn't consider this til now but...just because there's a screen the GamePad's strength doesn't just have to be about that, right?

Like...RE4 on Wii is amazing because pointer controls feel better than its traditional setup. If you got to a point, couldn't you just move the GamePad around to aim without needing to look at the second screen?

In that way, it's marginal, but an interesting advantage over a 3DS. Using movement controls on that requires that you alter your view of both screens. And forget about trying to move it while getting a 'feel' for movement based aiming. Your device for movement and primary view are all the same device.

I dunno though - it could be inconsequential or not even work that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Yep. I loved the hell out of the SNES one. Hard to play now actually, it runs pretty crappy
    overclock it