Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abyss Odyssey (PC, PS3, 360)

1. Don't get me wrong, Albert Odyssey wasn't ever a good game. But with the right game shark codes it became playable at least.

2. I beat Albert Odyssey without a single cheat. I swear I don't remember a thing about it other than that it was colorful.

James

3. It had a really awful random encounter rate, and there were codes that made your guys go up a ton of levels after each fight. So you could just use the most powerful moves to get the fight over as quickly as possible (which wasn't that quick thanks to the up to ten second load times necessary for the battle to begin), take a step or two, and repeat.

4. And now I remember. Thanks. Big help there. No, really. My brain needed that information refreshed.

I used to have far more patience for bullshit than I do today. I'm not sure how I beat Albert Odyssey seeing as I'd just given up on my first JRPG ever in Beyond the Beyond (final dungeon, too) a few months earlier.

James

5. I like the game so far but it is definitely a bit stiff control wise. I wish turning was instant especially in mid-air when I want to do a special move. Looks fine and the music is great.

6. I also bought this just to support ACE (and that launch 30% discount), so I'm excited to try it out when I get home. Kind of sad about hearing about stiff controls.

7. Overall I like it, but it's rough around the edges and the level grind seems a bit hollow. The game is a lot easier than I feel it should be given the whole loss of equipment and delving deep aspect, and the equipment costs seem to spiral up too fast. I kept not spending any money whatsoever (I was saving it for a couple runs to get the third character) and yet was still unable to afford various pieces of equipment. Seems off.

The controls are stiff but precise, so my only issue there is that turning around is slower than I'd like. Seems especially weird because the right stick is default mapped to all the normal attacks, but it's still very slow attacking left and then right. It seems like they added an alternate attack method for fluid directional control but forgot that the game doesn't really work in that manner.

The co-op is also really irritating with friendly fire stuck on. It basically turns the game into taking turns, where one person sits and does nothing while the other fights. ACE seems to think it adds difficulty but the areas are so small that doing almost anything together means hurting your partner, so it's really just more boring than anything else.

In brighter news:
    ACE Team has outlined some upcoming changes that are planned for the first Abyss Odyssey patch, which should please those who don’t enjoy friendly fire. Four main areas are being looked at, based on the first few hours of feedback received from players.

A “Nightmare Difficulty” settings is in the works, so that’ll be welcome for anybody who finds it a bit easy to get down to see the Warlock every time they play. Also likely to be popular is the promise to “Re-evaluate / find an alternative” to friendly fire being on by default in co-op. ACE Team has said that removing it entirely would probably make Abyss Odyssey co-op too easy overall, but they’re obviously looking into some kind of approach that’ll make people happy. They may just end up incorporating an on/off toggle, we’ll see.

On the subject of controls, the first patch should remove any instances of controller prompts showing up if a player is using mouse and keyboard. ACE Team is also planning to add a customisable menu for controllers, so that those using pads can redefine their controls (you can put that X+Y Pokemon power on something a bit more sensible.)

There’s no specific date for a patch yet, but it’s planned for release “soon.”
    That control bit could be nice considering they pointlessly have two separate buttons mapped to block but require pressing two buttons together to perform the capture move.

8. I never had a problem with level grinding, once my guys were at 7 or so, and I spent those first few levels learning how to put their moves together. Leveling is just something that happens once you get some decent HP and a few special attacks per character. Abyss Odyssey is kind of easy, but then again I'm not particularly great at brawlers so it evened out for me.

The equipment costs are weird, though. Once I found a spear with charm built in and a 24 attack (which is pretty big for the spear) for about 11,000, and then the fire spear with similar stats was 20,000-ish. There's a variance in pricing to power that I can't make sense of. On the other hand, you can get by with scavenged weapons, so no big deal. Cheaper prices for strong equipment would just make the game easier.

James

9. Not a fan of the map design but the demo has been fun and for $10 it looks like a good deal so I may buy it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I never had a problem with level grinding, once my guys were at 7 or so, and I spent those first few levels learning how to put their moves together. Leveling is just something that happens once you get some decent HP and a few special attacks per character.
    It's more just that unlocking the characters at first was a lot of starting at zero and being really weak, you have to at least equal enemy levels to capture them, and since levels are all that carry over it's the only thing really worth caring about building up. I'd probably be super into weapon collecting if we got to keep them, and it makes me a little sad we can't at least pick a previously collected one from the start. Not a big deal but it would be nice.
    Cheaper prices for strong equipment would just make the game easier.
    My complaint was more that it was impossible to buy them at all so it didn't matter how strong they were, but I think you keep previous gold collected on each character so it's probably not a real issue long term.