Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (3DS), new Intelligent Systems turn-based SRPG - NEW: Enemy movement update

1. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (3DS), new Intelligent Systems turn-based SRPG - NEW: Enemy movement update

NA release date: March 13th, 2015
    JP release date: May 14th, 2015
    EU release date: May 15th, 2015

http://codenamesteam.nintendo.com

From Nintendo of America's Twitter:
    • Hitoshi Yamagami from one of the software development teams at Nintendo just took the stage.
    • Mr. Yamagami says that #CodeNameSTEAM is a turn based strategy game with a variety of unique features
    • And if Nintendo is developing a strategy game, of course the developer is going to be...Intelligent Systems!
    • Paul Patrashcu and Takako Sakai from Intelligent Systems just took the stage.
    • Mr. Yamagami wants to “find a way to introduce more people to strategy games & have them fall in love w/ them the way I have”
    • #CodeNameSTEAM uses action elements from shooters to enhance both movement and attacking.
    • #CodeNameSTEAM uses the unique touch screen features of the Nintendo #3DS to create an intuitive control system.
    • The fighters in #CodeNameSTEAM run on steam. Fighters have boilers and they have to pull from a limited amount of steam to perform attacks.
    • The game is structured as a campaign and divided into missions. Each mission has several maps.
    • As you play through the game, the boilers, weapons and characters available to you will increase.
    • Character design in #CodeNameSTEAM is based on American comic books. The developers were inspired by artists like Jack Kirby and Bruce Timm.
    • Main characters’ weapon design is based on the weapon's abilities and an animal motif based on the character's personality.
    • The terrain has a lot of depth and reflects the variety of strategic choices in the game.
    • The developers came up with some original aliens that riff on creatures from the Lovecraft mythos.
    • Overwatch attacks can stun & interrupt enemy movement. Save steam at the end of a turn to attack enemies when in range.
    • Each character has a main weapon but you can also equip a second "sub-weapon" for each character.
    • Each character also has a “Special Ability” that can be used once per map. No two are the same.

Takes place in 19th century steampunk London. S.T.E.A.M. stands for Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace, a unit created by Abraham Lincoln to defend against an invasion from space. Valkyria Chronicles and XCOM being mentioned from those attending the Roundtable Dicussion. Taishi Senda, who worked on the Advance Wars series, is composing the soundtrack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pdh5l9T.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	74414 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hMflI43.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	74415 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BydmyLd.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	74416 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lXc495g.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	74417 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3tsFcwe.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	74418
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SiDgiYY.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	74419 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JlbrRQT.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	74420 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TqwaXG3.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	74421 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rl2VFjZ.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	74422 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wob8O0J.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	74423
    Last edited by Geo; 29 Apr 2015 at 03:20 AM.

2. This thread title started good and just kept getting better.

3. I can take or leave the artstyle but otherwise, GIMMIE!

4. Valkyria Chronicles is the worst. I hope they were just pandering to fanboys when they said that.

buttplant explosion in 3...2...1...

It's nice to see Intelligent Systems working on something new.

And what's wrong with Valkyria? I get the feeling I asked you that before but my memory sucks.

7. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (3DS), new turn-based SRPG + action/shooter elements fr...

It's a terrible SRPG with horrible AI, character building that is completely fucked and unbalanced, and an awful scoring system that ruins the whole game. It's so bad.

That said its one of the prettiest games out there...
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 12 Jun 2014 at 11:10 AM.

8. The art style is supposed to based on Golden era comics, looks more like Jojo's Adventure meets Tonka Rescue Heroes.

9. I'm definitely excited for this.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Valkyria Chronicles is the worst. I hope they were just pandering to fanboys when they said that.
    From the Treehouse demo, I went from 'this is VC' to 'this is XCOM with a VC perspective'

Basically, you can drop turrets, use Overwatch, and jump clear over obstacles. Characters get gear that give you these different abilities, and IS said they really loved the Overwatch ability in other strat games. So they're using good sources as inspiration. Also neat in the demo, they show that your steam (AP) can also drop if you take fire on your turn. So if you maneuver sloppy you loose your turn.

I really want this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.