Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Decor Thread

Home Decor Thread

So, did we already have a thread like this?

I think we had something. Maybe a brief discussion about good shelves for games? 2 years ago?

Anyway, home decor thread.

I need some bookshelves. I'm not sure which way to go with it. I just want something cheap. I don't want anything with particle board. Those always seem to sag if ever used for their intended purpose.

People always recommend using boards and concrete blocks. Cheap, but they always look a bit off. Lay them longways and the shelves are too short. Lay them upright and the shelf isn't that deep or the weight of the books is off center.

I've thought about building a set of these

Click for full size

http://www.instructables.com/id/Chea...e-bookshelves/

But for $60, I could buy a metal shelf with a 4000lb capacity

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FKA47L7GF7B8LPM.MEDIUM.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	74443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61Lhz1hA0iL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	74444  
    Last edited by Fe 26; 17 Jun 2014 at 09:02 PM.

The book room will mostly be used for books. I might put a rug in there and some guitars/amps too. I've heard this is the best combo since full bookshelves make good sound cancelers.

3. I might put that ugly ass metal shit in my garage.
    Or if I were a NYC hipster I could see having it in my sitting room, being all ironic and shit.
    But fuck having that in my actual house. I want the warmth and comfort of some nice stained wood.
    The kind of shit you aren't going to find at your local furnishing store, unless your local furnishing store is run by real Amish or Mennonites.
    My dad's dad was a carpenter and a lot of his skills were passed onto my dad via osmosis. He built his own entertainment center and book cases. A few years ago he bought and rebuilt a '54 Chevy truck. He replaced the bed with mahogany and it looks pimp as hell.
    Unfortunately, those skills did not pass onto me and it sucks. I want to be like Nick Offerman.

Well, that got snobby quick.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I might put that ugly ass metal shit in my garage.
    Or if I were a NYC hipster I could see having it in my sitting room, being all ironic and shit.
    But fuck having that in my actual house. I want the warmth and comfort of some nice stained wood.
    The kind of shit you aren't going to find at your local furnishing store, unless your local furnishing store is run by real Amish or Mennonites.
    My dad's dad was a carpenter and a lot of his skills were passed onto my dad via osmosis. He built his own entertainment center and book cases. A few years ago he bought and rebuilt a '54 Chevy truck. He replaced the bed with mahogany and it looks pimp as hell.
    Unfortunately, those skills did not pass onto me and it sucks. I want to be like Nick Offerman.
    I have a steel DVD shelf from Boltz, looks legit. I agree otherwise. I refuse to buy cheap shit furniture from Target or Amazon or whatever anymore, it looks like crap and doesn't last. Much better to pay. I did buy a desk from Ikea because the price was right and it was the right size for the room, it looks nice though. I'd like to upgrade to one of those fancy motorized standing desks one day.

I am currently waiting for a contractor I hired to do my master closet, that should free up a lot of space and class up the place a little. Add to home value too.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 17 Jun 2014 at 09:59 PM.

6. My shelves all look awful. I won't front.

are they like cheap awful or walmart particle board awful?

I like 50s-70s furniture. I used metal lawyer's shelves for a long time

Click for full size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_570xN.276881038.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	74445  

9. One is a particle board from like 1997. The others are overflowing Ikea shelves that would look alright if I put their glass doors on. But I won't.

you show'm