Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16262829303132 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing? (Summer, 2014)

1. Deadlight- Recently finished, liked it quite a bit.

Dead Rising 2- I played and liked the first one on release, but I don't think I can handle this game type again. I find it insanely annoying and tedious. So much loading.

Starcraft 2- Still play and watch tournaments on Twitch. I've been going back into campaign to get achievements too. Haven't played WoL in ages so it seems new again.

Dishonored- Really digging it. Feels like a Bioshock team spun off to make a sister game. I just started it, but I really like what I've seen so far. Weird characters, fun combat, powers and upgrades that look really promising.

Dead or Alive 5- Popped this in randomly and ended up playing with Prince Planet for an hour so. So much fun, I'm probably going to pick up Ultimate soon. They added a ton of stuff. The costume packs are ridiculous.
    Last edited by Rumpy; 28 Aug 2014 at 05:11 PM.

2. I'm broke ass, so I'm playing some oldies:

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection on the Wii - Many of the tables are ancient, but fun. Working though the gottlieb challenge.
    Wild Arms: Got this for .99 on sale on PSN for the PSP. I'm currently stuck.
    Pokemon Pinball - The one for GBA is really fun.
    You don't have to be smart; you don't have to know the facts, you just have to be confident.

http://gamercards.exophase.com/37676.png

I just built a monster PC., so most of my current gaming is stuff that I shelved due to performance issues, as well as some games I got free with my graphics card. The GPU arrived before the rest of my parts, so I stuck it in my old build for a while (i5 760, 8gb ram). People talk about how processors don't matter much anymore, but I was getting 40fps or so in Far Cry 3 with that setup and a perfect 60fps on this setup (i7 4790k, 16gb ram), so there's a lot to be said for at least staying current with processor generations if not with top-of-the-line speeds.

Far Cry 3 - Man, this looks fantastic. I played a fair bit of it when it came out, but exploring the jungle with everything set on ultra almost feels like a whole new game. Almost. I had forgotten that the game is actually pretty difficult in the early stages if you play on hard - enemies can do you in way faster than you can find the time to use a health syringe. I know, from past experience, that it gets way easier as you go on, so I'm savouring this and doing as much side stuff as I can before it turns into ezmode.

Sniper Elite 3 - Got this free with my GPU. It's way better than I had expected. I really didn't like Sniper Elite V2, and this directly remedies most of the problems that game had. The move to more open spaces means that the biggest problem of V2 - being screwed if the enemies ever spotted you and managed to approach you - becomes part of the gameplay. It encourages stealth without ruining your game if you make any mistakes. There's a fun cycle of scout -> sneak -> set up a shot -> relocate -> repeat. So far it's nothing complex, but it's quite fun as a simple stealth game mixed with great sniping.

Gothic 3 - I give this a shot on any new hardware upgrade, and it gets closer and closer to being a truly great game. Somebody recently figured out how to make some changes to the core gameplay, putting out an update that implements a few simple fixes to improve combat a great deal. And on this machine, there's almost no stutter after the first five minutes of gameplay as the game desperately tries to load everything into memory.

Max Payne 3 - I really don't like the direction of the cutscenes, but it's nice to see Rockstar's level of detail applied to a linear game. Playing this with a mouse also remedies the extremely loose aiming that the console versions had.

Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed - This is a really bad game. There's a ton of hitching, constant NPC pop-in, lots of loading zones, sidequests that require random spawns to appear, and really sloppy combat. But I'm really enjoying it for some reason. Maybe it's the realistic setting: it reminds me of some otaku Yakuza. Maybe it's the unashamedly sleazy approach to fanservice, only the laziest attempt to justify all the stripping. Maybe it's the ridiculously stupid dialogue options, letting me be a totally perverted moron. I can't recommend this game to anyone, but there's something about it that just hits the spot for me right now.
    Last edited by bVork; 30 Aug 2014 at 08:35 PM.

4. What Are You Playing? (Summer, 2014)

A lot of games these days are more CPU intensive than people let on. I would not build a gaming PC with an i5 myself. The 760 is some old ass shit though.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    Deadlight- Recently finished, liked it quite a bit.

Dead Rising 2- I played and liked the first one on release, but I don't think I can handle this game type again. I find it insanely annoying and tedious. So much loading.

Starcraft 2- Still play and watch tournaments on Twitch. I've been going back into campaign to get achievements too. Haven't played WoL in ages so it seems new again.

Dishonored- Really digging it. Feels like a Bioshock team spun off to make a sister game. I just started it, but I really like what I've seen so far. Weird characters, fun combat, powers and upgrades that look really promising.

Dead or Alive 5- Popped this in randomly and ended up playing with Prince Planet for an hour so. So much fun, I'm probably going to pick up Ultimate soon. They added a ton of stuff. The costume packs are ridiculous.
    Dead Rising 2 Off The Record is really the way to play that game. They streamlined a lot of the systems and it's way more user friendly. And Frank West is way better than Chuck. (And Chux I guess)

Dead Rising 3 is really awesome, but I'm not sure if it's better than Off The Record. If DR3 had Frank (and his camera) it wouldn't even be a question.

DOA5 is a super fun game that anyone can pick up and play and have a blast with as long as no one person in the group gets super hardcore about it. Goddamn there's a lot of paid DLC though.

Dead Rising 2 was one of the better free games I've played in a while.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post

Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed - This is a really bad game. There's a ton of hitching, constant NPC pop-in, lots of loading zones, sidequests that require random spawns to appear, and really sloppy combat. But I'm really enjoying it for some reason. Maybe it's the realistic setting: it reminds me of some otaku Yakuza. Maybe it's the unashamedly sleazy approach to fanservice, only the laziest attempt to justify all the stripping. Maybe it's the ridiculously stupid dialogue options, letting me be a totally perverted moron. I can't recommend this game to anyone, but there's something about it that just hits the spot for me right now.
    I'm really enjoying the dialogue myself. I just about always play this stuff as a lawful good guy. Not this game though!
    The character pop in is pretty atrocious. I can deal with the rest because Japan has trained me to do so. But this shouldn't be as technically disappointing as it is, especially for a Vita game.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post

Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed - constant NPC pop-in, lots of loading zones,
    Side effect of being a PSP port.

9. What makes Akiba's Trip a good bad game:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-08-31-121023.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	74975

(1st and 2nd post)

10. and I just read an Obama reference. Did Vic script this? I hope so~