Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172729303132 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing? (Summer, 2014)

Ugh. There is not much worse than contemporary references that quickly date media.

2. Aladdin is bad about that. I hadn't watched it in forever, then as soon as the Genie shows up, BAM. Hello 90's.

Edit: Found some GCN games that I thought I had sold. Wii U won't play them, so off to Dolphin I go. F-Zero GX still looks fucking good.

3. Unless that particular contemporary reference reminds you of a bunch of nerds raging over a past contemporary reference which is probably why this particular contemporary reference was made in the first place.

4. I will forever remember Magic Knights Rayearth as the game in which 90s Asian schoolgirls referenced a 70s American domestic abuse case.

Monaco - Been playing this with people the last couple nights. I haven't touched it since they added in the new modes, and while I still haven't tried whatever zombie mode is the enhanced mode is pretty nice. They added a lot of detail although I also think that makes it more confusing to get used to since the design is so reliant on bright, strong colors. I also didn't realize that co-op couldn't be local and online at the same time, but at least I now know for sure how nice it is to have four wireless 360 controllers hooked up to my PC.

FFXIV - It's been a while since I really played so there was/is so much to catch up on. They made gearing progression so much nicer and more fun, and it took me a few days of solid play to get through all the added story (probably like 20-30 hours just in stories with a few distractions here and there).

Resident Evil 6 - Been slow going on this one, partially because I was without internet for a little while and it's not as interesting with an AI partner. Finished up Leon's campaign, and best zombie t-rex since Dino Crisis 3. This game sometimes really feels like they just threw everything they could find into one game and went nuts. Some of these enemies, however, are the most interesting I've ever seen in this series, like the ones that could rebuild themselves were really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Unless that particular contemporary reference reminds you of a bunch of nerds raging over a past contemporary reference which is probably why this particular contemporary reference was made in the first place.
    That might be even worse.

6. Just in time for the end of summer, The Golf Club is definitely going to be in my rotation for a while. I need to finish Diablo III here quickly so I can sell it as I don't thinks it's going to be one I'm going to go back to often. The Show is gonna take a breather now that The Golf Club has teed off.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP) - When this first came out, I managed to get myself stuck without an escape save and gave up. I've finally gone back to it, and it's just one of those games that makes me think they don't make 'em like this anymore. There's no stupid humor or androgynous hero(ine) and certainly no hand-holding. In fact, in a lot of ways it's making my nostalgic in general, and I've realized or at least reminded myself how few talented developers there really are and how so many of the greatest games really came from such a tiny but elite group.

Matsuno joints are always good, and that's one of the best.

9. Best game. I have an extra UMD if anyone wants it. Nobody should go without.

10. I tried getting into Azure Striker. It didn't click. The forcefield seems like a mechanic that may have worked at one point, but was later made overpowered to dial the difficulty down. The game feels like a 1997 Saturn Treasure classic that was rendered unplayable by Working Designs' monkeying around under the hood.

I started a game of Chrono Cross instead, using cross save with my PSP for the first time. But it looks like a butt and I miss analogue control. So now I want a Vita for the silliest of reasons: dual analogue on PSOne classics.

CC still rules in case you were curious.