Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you write?

1. Actually the first part of my story is told from a first person perspective and he becomes more unreliable as the story progresses, but the inconsistencies I want to fix have more to do with having written a piece of the story at one time and then later on added more to it somewhere else, but the two versions don't match, that kind of thing. I am more concerned about figuring out how to add the meat to the bones. When I began some of the chapters were just paragraphs. I've since gone in and added things, but as the story went on I realized I needed more characters and so I'd create them, and then marked some of them for being added to earlier scenes. It's a terrible way to write, but its a learning process.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    Actually the first part of my story is told from a first person perspective and he becomes more unreliable as the story progresses, but the inconsistencies I want to fix have more to do with having written a piece of the story at one time and then later on added more to it somewhere else, but the two versions don't match, that kind of thing. I am more concerned about figuring out how to add the meat to the bones. When I began some of the chapters were just paragraphs. I've since gone in and added things, but as the story went on I realized I needed more characters and so I'd create them, and then marked some of them for being added to earlier scenes. It's a terrible way to write, but its a learning process.
    Ah, but perhaps as you add these characters you'll want to learn more about them and that's how things develop. Maybe you discover a character you like so much that it branches off and gets its own story, and maybe in there you find another you like.

Sounds cool, though, that he's getting less reliable over time. Maybe the reader will begin to question themselves as they read along, which would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    trying to get published
    Ever consider self-publishing? I have recorded and put out 4 albums and 6 EPs without the financial assistance of any record label, why shouldn't you do the same kind of thing?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Ever consider self-publishing? I have recorded and put out 4 albums and 6 EPs without the financial assistance of any record label, why shouldn't you do the same kind of thing?
    Working on that - I actually made two posts about it but I didn't really want to flood TNL. Hehe. I'm planning on serializing it and just releasing it on a schedule. I'll use a donate button but whatever. It's just going to take a lot of efforts to market so I'm saving up for some time off work to do that.

In the meantime I fire off query letters on the off chance I get picked up, still.

I'll buy it if you do. We support our own.

6. Well I wouldn't charge you guys, real talk.

I'll pop into Pancakes once the I finish the site for the first book and post the link.

7. I will shit on your free link and buy it anyway.

A part of me hates writing down my ideas. They kind of feel dead after that. Like they lose their energy. I might go weeks or months just thinking on an idea. Adding layers to it. Making changes. There is something about writing things down that feels final (for me). And after I write it down, I tend to walk away from it.

But eventually there does come a time when I do have to write it down. If only to move on to something else. I almost always use notebooks. Just cheap dollar ones. Or scraps of paper. I've copied a few things I've written for forchan into wordpad, but they are pretty much forgotten after I click save.

I like the complete control of paper. I like how much space I have to work. I like being able to switch from words to images. i like being able to switch from words to a sketch instantly. And I like being able to lay all of this out on a floor or bed. Being able to lay it out in a physical space and looking at it. Pondering it. Moving the sheets around. Moving the paragraphs, the images, reference material, physical things that inspire, all around in a room. (I have no idea how anyone tolerates living with me, because I will fill any amount of space with a project if allowed).

BUT, when I did write for school, I used word. I would often wait to the last minute to read whatever and then write whatever about it. I'd normally 'just do it' in much the same way I do here. BUT! I would proof read it. Which made all the difference. I would delete tons of stuff. Copy stuff from the middle and put it at the top or bottom. I would mold it into something better, something much more comprehensible. Then I would print it off and ask people to proof read it and we'd discuss it. I'd make changes, and repeat this process, etc. You poor guys never get that better end product. 99% of my posts are first draft poopoo.

At work I don't write much. Not in a classical sense. I do use excel a lot. Which is like mathematical writing, I suppose. I build very big pages with many simple equations. I like building pages where if you change one number it changes a dozen other numbers. Where I can predict a dozen or more things with one number. This kind of stuff lets me see how if one or two things change, what will be the outcome, and from there, what should be done. I kind of wonder where this software has been all my life. I can't believe I did so much of engineering school on paper.

It also makes me wonder if there are any programs like this for music writing. Like, if I wrote a song, and I make 1 change, will the rest of the song I've written compensate? If I change the key of one note, would the wrest of the song do likewise?

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post

The funny thing is, intentionally being inconsistent is as difficult as remaining consistent. It does, however, make plot twists easier.
    It is nice that you try. Too many people fill stories with characters that are just different versions of themselves. It is nice to see people account for people that aren't writers. The people that are inconsistent. Or emotional. Or stupid. Etc. People that don't have a well thought out reason for everything they do.

10. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    I will shit on your free link and buy it anyway.
    In my head I see myself opening my door and you handing me an envelope, and then when I open it up to see like a $10 check I look up to see you giving me middle fingers. And the "note" for the check reads, "Fuck your free link. P.S. Enjoyed the story - release more pls."

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    A part of me hates writing down my ideas. They kind of feel dead after that. Like they lose their energy. I might go weeks or months just thinking on an idea. Adding layers to it. Making changes. There is something about writing things down that feels final (for me). And after I write it down, I tend to walk away from it.
    I know the feeling. I usually use a red marker and draw a line through anything I write down that I later change but even knowing that stuff is deprecated still makes me feel sad it's different now.