Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: How do you write?

1. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    But with a laptop, the writer would get bogged down revising during the session. This not only presented all kinds of ethical issues for me in their constantly asking for my input or at least approval, it prevented us from working on more pressing stuff. Revising a sentence only to find that the revision necessitates a change in the next sentence is a great way to not get any actual writing done.

I realized a couple weeks ago that this is exactly what I do when I write. With a laptop, I labor over sentences, deleting and inserting until I get it just right before starting the next sentence...which often forces me to go back and change the first. My new method is to treat my laptop like a typewriter. Once a sentence is done, it's done. Next sentence. Then, once a paper--or at least a paragraph or argument--is "done," I go back and revise. I then try to explain what I wrote. If the explanation is not already contained in the writing, I add it on the next revision.

This is how writers used to roll. They produced drafts of entire works, not drafts of sentences and half sentences, before revising. Those guys were really smart.

At the risk of going full douche, I might even get myself a typewriter this summer.
    ARBM was on that kick a full year before I got on it. Cool.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

I can say for one thing, I do not have his problem with typing on a computer. I'm lucky if I read it as I type it, let alone going back after the next sentence or paragraph is done.

3. We can all confirm that.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

I have no idea why I'm this way. Like I read every word everyone else says. I'm not fucking skimmers like half of you. Yet I dont read my own writing. I just sling it out there like some sort of word smithing cowboy.

The rest of us don't really read it either.

I know you guys dont. I dont know why some of you use forums. Hot memes?

7. god damn, i love forums. dying breed. what a great place to write.

that said, i can hardly bear to read what i wrote in this thread back in 2014 or whatever. cringe city for me.

anyway, there's obviously nothing like pen & paper still but lately i do enjoy using the 'Concepts' app for ipados as it's basically an infinite canvas to sketch on.