Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Cover a Classic Game

Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    So basically the anti-Retronauts? Sounds good.
    Yeah, Retronauts is a steaming pile because they will choose a topic they know nothing about, and then shamelessly talk about how they know nothing about it. Why would anyone want to listen to that?

2. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    Don't let Corey on. He's audio cancer

3. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Yeah, Retronauts is a steaming pile because they will choose a topic they know nothing about, and then shamelessly talk about how they know nothing about it. Why would anyone want to listen to that?
    Amen.

If they chose topics they knew about it they'd be limited to the NES, SNES, Japanese RPGs, and the Nintendo Powers their mom bought them.

4. So are the videos going to be all strategy? Have you thought of the format that you're going to use?

Record as much of yourself playing or "mastering" the game with your commentary.
    Record all the specific "strategy" and "glitch" spots.
    Record the podcast with your asshole friends like Corey.

You then can setup the videos like this: Heavily edited/condensed 5~10 mins of the best bits of the podcast to footage you got while playing the game, then 5~10 minutes of the best/most entertaining "mastering" footage with your commentary, and then all the strategy and glitch spots chronologically. This way your video has a little bit of background to get people interested in playing the game if they haven't already, then bits of you mastering the game which is entertaining because you assume that your audience knows nothing so seeing someone else go through the "journey" of mastering the game would create interest in mastering the game themselves and also give them hints on how to do it, and then you get to the meat of the strategy guide.

The other way you could do it would be would be to have all the glitch and "mastery footage" displayed chronologically, and then bits of the podcast edited into where it's relevant.
    For example, say you did Mega Man 3, you could have some footage of you fighting the giant snake mid-boss in Snakeman stage, have footage of you failing in some way to the projectiles with snappy commentary, then explain the the rhythm of how you jump the projectiles the strategy and add flavor with Corey talking about his dick as Snakeman. That way it's the same "journey" as the first format, of showing how you mastered the game, but then it's more segmented and would probably be more interesting.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

5. I have an ADVC-55 and a good collection of NES games. So if you want me to play through a game and get authentic footage to supplement yours, just ask.

Also, Megaman is a good example to mark a line in the sand from the start and tell everyone how stupid they are for using retro incorrectly; Mega Man 9 is retro, Mega Man is just classic.
    Last edited by AstroBlue; 30 Jul 2014 at 08:59 PM.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    If you ever do something on REZ, lemme know. I have an unhealthy hatred for that game. Fuck REZ.
    I love REZ. It's like playing the Contra games; you have to learn the enemy patterns and then it becomes more of a zen like experience. You just have to play the game a lot to learn the patterns of the enemies. You have to max out the lock-on to get the most points and know when the level ups are about to enter the screen.

7. The best one of any of these things is Did You Know Gaming. They let the visuals from the game with the odd still or commercial clip tell the story (nobody wants to see the goddamn host), the editing is good, the narration is even (no goddamn screaming), and they stick to good, informative bullet points.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 30 Jul 2014 at 11:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Do pop up video while you play it and let Melf and NeoZ write the comments.

On april fools pick mario and let Josh and Dave write the pop ups. Or just let Josh do it for Castlvania

9. Also: this is pretty rad and might be a thing worth emulating.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. I'd be happy to help. I have a good microphone now, so my body is podcast-ready.