Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: This Month's Haul: August 2014

1. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    My buddy gave me a Model 1 High Definition Graphics Genesis. I forget why it's better than the Model 2 it's replacing, though. Better sound chip?
    Better sound and the earlier versions of the Model 1 don't have TMSS locking out some of the unlicensed games by Accolade.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03 Aug 2014 at 06:29 PM.

Yeah, unless your system is a VA4 system (has the shorter motherboard, you can see by the vent holes) the audio will be MUCH better. Assuming the caps and headphone jack are in working order.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    No way!

It's like going on a game hunt from your own living room. It's like a redneck version of American Pickers.
    Putting aside the thrill of seeing somebody I don't know or particularly like find something I'd personally want and can't have, they are obnoxious and selfish bros that think belching is the height of hilarity and know nothing about video games aside from their going eBay prices.

There was an initial appeal in seeing games in the wild and game stores, but the more I got to see of these guys the worse it felt. All they ever talk about is shitty nostalgia. They're part of the current fad and will dump all their stuff in the near future when it fades.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Putting aside the thrill of seeing somebody I don't know or particularly like find something I'd personally want and can't have, they are obnoxious and selfish bros that think belching is the height of hilarity and know nothing about video games aside from their going eBay prices.

There was an initial appeal in seeing games in the wild and game stores, but the more I got to see of these guys the worse it felt. All they ever talk about is shitty nostalgia. They're part of the current fad and will dump all their stuff in the near future when it fades.
    To each their own. Do you find Game Quest to be offending as well?

I'll let you know after I watch it.

edit: OH this guy. He's easier on the eyes but PAL stuff sucks. Who cares?

When Shady Jay was part of a panel in Portland, an audience member asked the Retroware hosts what game in their collections they treasure the most. Everyone had a heartfelt answer except for Jay, who seemed confused when he asked back "do you mean which game is worth the most?"

If you want to keep liking them I suggest not watching the Video Game Years or especially that Genesis vs. SNES video, good lord almighty.

Retro Liberty is a better, similar show. I hate them significantly less. Still don't watch them regularly, though.
    Last edited by Mzo; 03 Aug 2014 at 08:46 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I'll let you know after I watch it.

When Shady Jay was part of a panel in Portland, an audience member asked the Retroware hosts what game in their collections they treasure the most. Everyone had a heartfelt answer except for Jay, who seemed confused when he asked back "do you mean which game is worth the most?"

If you want to keep liking them I suggest not watching the Video Game Years or especially that Genesis vs. SNES video, good lord almighty.

Retro Liberty is a better, similar show. I hate them significantly less. Still don't watch them regularly, though.
    Yeah, I've seen every episode of the Video Game Years. Those guys are clearly more into Nintendo, than the Sega consoles. I don't recall one episode where they've bought Sega games, but they have bought more obscure stuff like the Vectrex and Ti-99. Jay is not the sharpest knife in the drawer either.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03 Aug 2014 at 09:22 PM.

Blame shidoshi or god.

The guys are into what's worth money, regardless of the console, but their blind fanboyism over the tiny amount of games they've actually played is fully Nintendo biased. They talk about MUSHA all the time because they've heard it's expensive from 8-bit Eric. That's all they care about.

I know I saw Billy buy Hard Corps for the Genesis at least.

Also pretty sure Billy does all the editing work or anything that requires half a brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    PAL stuff sucks. Who cares?
    Me. There are quite a few good games released in PAL countries that we didn't get over here.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Blame shidoshi or god.

The guys are into what's worth money, regardless of the console, but their blind fanboyism over the tiny amount of games they've actually played is fully Nintendo biased. They talk about MUSHA all the time because they've heard it's expensive from 8-bit Eric. That's all they care about.

I know I saw Billy buy Hard Corps for the Genesis at least.
    Billy played through the original Contra on the NES, for the live stream to celebrate the final hours for the DVD pre-order. He certainly plays most of the games he buys and is a walking encyclopedia for the rare games that he is on the hunt for. I certainly don't believe that they are any more guilty of coveting the rare and expensive games than the rest of the retro community. They have to keep the show interesting, so bringing up the value of these games is a part of it.

I'm glad that most of these retro channels are centered around Nintendo stuff. I'd hate to see the prices of Genesis titles skyrocketing, because a bunch of retro guys started hyping them up too much.

Also pretty sure Billy does all the editing work or anything that requires half a brain.
    I goofed up on that one. Billy definitely is the brains behind the whole show. Jay is just a meathead that is Billy's traveling buddy. I'm pretty sure Jay has no idea what half of the games values are, until Billy snatches up the item and informs him what he had just set back down.

I do remember the episode of The Videogame Years that you were talking about. Jay said something along the lines of "The Genesis has Sonic and uh..."

Have you seen the videos from these guys?

Arcade Impossible

MetalJesusRocks
    Last edited by gamevet; 03 Aug 2014 at 10:13 PM.

10. Been looking for these vampire games for awhile especially Killer which has jumped in price to the $600 range

Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)