Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubusuna, a New Shmup from Hiroshi Iuchi (PS4)

1. Ubusuna, a New Shmup from Hiroshi Iuchi (PS4)

So it seems like Iuchi (yeah, the Radiant Silvergun/Ikaruga guy) has moved on from his last gig at G.rev where he made Kokuga, and landed at... M2. Which is a pretty awesome company, but somewhat surprising given they mostly work on ports and emulation. He's apparently been working on stuff like the 3DS ports of Sega arcade games.

But his current project is something different for M2, a completely original shmup called Ubusuna (or Ubusana if Siliconera's translation is to be believed). M2's done a handful of original games before, like Fantasy Zone II DX, Gradius ReBirth, etc, but as far as I know they've never done any completely original IPs before. That said, Iuchi's an auteur, handling graphics, design, even music on his own, so I imagine he wouldn't have much trouble working on something at M2.

Not much is really known at the moment. It's a shmup, it's being developed on PS4, but there may be the possibility of ports down the road, it's downloadable, and it's probably not coming out real soon.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/14...playstation-4/
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 15 Aug 2014 at 06:31 PM.

2. Fantasy Zone III pls

no maze

3. I'm hoping this is way better than Kokuga. It had a lot of strong points but needed to be structured differently.

And yeah, M2 is a great place for him.

I don't know how Siliconera got Ubusana out of ウブスナ and Ubusuna, but whatever.

Kokuga really disappointed me. On top of having to play country setting shenanigans to get it here in Canada, I didn't like the card mechanic. Or rather, I didn't like the way the base game played and I enjoyed the brief moments I could use cards to make it play faster, but that's not what I want out of a game. Here's hoping that whatever he does next is more interesting.

5. My biggest disappointment with Kokuga was just the graphics. It was obviously ported from DS during development. The structure didn't bother me because the focus was really on single level score attack, and I love the 16-bit tank games it pays homage to. Ikaruga it was not but I still really liked it.

6. They stated the game was originally bound for DS and switched over (much like Shadow Wars and Shinobi). Still the simple graphics enhance the depth of field, its one of the 3DS games I enjoy playing with 3D switched on. The focus on multiplayer probably fueled the card system, really had no issues with it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    So it seems like Iuchi (yeah, the Radiant Silvergun/Ikaruga guy) has moved on from his last gig at G.rev where he made Kokuga, and landed at... M2. Which is a pretty awesome company, but somewhat surprising given they mostly work on ports and emulation. He's apparently been working on stuff like the 3DS ports of Sega arcade games.
    M2 is eating up all retro talent. They took almost all of Cave's staff a few months ago.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

8. Cave is in that bad a shape, huh? That does sort of make this news more interesting, though. Cave and Iuchi's games are pretty opposite ends of the spectrum but that much shooter talent in one place must mean M2 wants to branch out.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Shou View Post
    M2 is eating up all retro talent. They took almost all of Cave's staff a few months ago.
    Oh whoa. Do you have more info on who from Cave, specifically?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Shou View Post
    OMG. Sure sounds like Cave is finished, at least with arcade/console STGs. They used to put out at least 1 game a year, but no new arcade releases for 2013-2014 is a bit concerning. No chance in hell of a Ketsui II I guess.
    That said, looks like M2 is the one to watch now. Wouldn't mind seeing a Kyuukyoku Tiger 3 from them.

Hopefully some 3rd party will snap up Ibara & Ibara Kuro for a licensed release like what happened with Ketsui, at least for completion's sake.