Page 84 of 91 FirstFirst ... 7080828384858688 ... LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile, in Missouri...

1. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Sorry this instance doesn't fit your narrative. I'm sure there will be another in a few days.
    Of course there will be another and another. You can't educate and employee people overnight. And even if you could, rehabilitation out of a life of violence isn't instant. But none of that matters, because no one wants to fix it. We just want to feel good about how righteous we are and how contemptuous the opposition is. That's the point of every one of these stories, not to reform justice, but to solidify the teams.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Did you seriously read the quote, Peabody?
    I did, you changed a word from one I knew to one I didn't, but assumed was another word people use when they really mean the first word.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Yeah, he seems to be doing exactly what someone should be doing in that situation??? Hands up? Why didn't they shoot him in the leg or something?
    It's kind of a hush, hush rule. If they shot the guy in the leg, and it ended up being amputated, that leaves the police open to a lawsuit.

I know someone that got sued after performing CPR on someone that had drowned. He broke a rib of the person he had saved, and the ungrateful asshole decided to sue.
    Last edited by gamevet; 21 Sep 2016 at 11:17 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It's kind of a hush, hush rule. If they shot the guy in the leg, and it ended up being amputated, that leaves the police open to a lawsuit.

I know someone that got sued after performing CPR on someone that had drowned. He broke a rib of the person he had saved, and the ungrateful asshole decided to sue.
    I thought that if you performed CPR on someone that needed it, you could not be at fault for any damages as a result thanks to the Good Samaritan laws.

Why don't cops pay for malpractice insurance?

6. No good deed ever go unpunished.

7. Quote Originally Posted by ElCapichan View Post
    I thought that if you performed CPR on someone that needed it, you could not be at fault for any damages as a result thanks to the Good Samaritan laws.
    This was back in the 80s. I don't know if the court threw it out, or if the guy actually got sued. It was a member of the Montana search and rescue team that my friend's dad participated in. They'd have to carry dead bodies of people that would fall during mountain climbing, and pull out people that were drowned by strong creek and river current that pinned them under water. I guess this guy was one of their rescues.
    Last edited by gamevet; 21 Sep 2016 at 12:49 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    That is most hilarious thing I've ever read.

EDIT: That pretty much sums up *everything* in this country now.

9. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Because wrongful death lawsuits don't exist?

That has nothing to do with why they train that way. They do it because they want police to understand that guns are not the right tool for situation where you simply want to disable or warn someone. Guns are there to protect your life and should only be used when deadly force is completely justified.

And that makes sense. Unfortunately they're not really getting the message across for WHEN deadly force is actually justified here...

10. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    That is most hilarious thing I've ever read.

EDIT: That pretty much sums up *everything* in this country now.
    It's called deadly force. They aren't trained to shoot to wound. Have you ever seen a shooting range that has targets with arms and legs?

I actually heard this in a radio interview with a cop (name withheld) when they were talking about what a Police Officer is trained to do. They aren't trained to disable someone with a gun. It's always kill or be killed when they are tasked with using their weapon.

A dead man tells no lies.
    Last edited by gamevet; 21 Sep 2016 at 03:33 PM.