Page 20 of 91 FirstFirst ... 61618192021222434 ... LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile, in Missouri...

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Regardless of their color, anyone who thinks of race as a primary attribute to anything is a huge part of the problem. Mixing race and class is a symptom of that.
    God, you're cute.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    And it looks like at least most of the rest are primarily Hispanic. Are any of them primarily white?
    Two are overwhelmingly white. Another is technically "primarily white," but not really:

1. Dupree School District, 77.8% Native American (Dupree High School. Couldn't find data for the entire district)

2. Brownsville School District, 97.7% Hispanic

3. Shannon County SD, 97.2% Native American

4. North Forest SD, 68% Black, 30.8% Hispanic

5. La Joya ID, 99.7% Hispanic

6. Pharr San Juan Alamo ISD, 99% Hispanic

7. South Carolina Public Charter School District, 86.3% Black in public charter schools, 74.4% black in traditional public schools

8. Lee County Public Schools, 95.7% White

9. Northridge School District, 51.2% White, 42.9% Black (OH is 12.2% black; this is their black SD)

10. Fountain Hills USD, 90.6% white
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 21 Aug 2014 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I'm curious in a slightly different take from Brisco. What is the climate in Canada? I haven't spent a ton of time in Toronto, but my impression was that it was a hugely diverse city. In fact, arguably the rarest group was blondes or red heads, rather than any specific ethnic group. I realize that Toronto doesn't represent all of Canada, as NZE would quickly remind me, but it's the sample I have to go on.
    I was going to say, it varies a lot by location but yeah, Toronto is about as diverse a city as you can find. I get the impression it's pretty welcoming to all but I haven't lived there, and I'm sure no city is perfect racial harmony.

Vancouver is demographically the most Asian city in the Western world, I believe. While there are plenty of wealthy people of various races, it's pretty clear the Chinese on average have the most money here. I'm not surprised there's a local reality TV show called "Ultra Rich Asian Girls of Vancouver" being made.
    http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/06/u...-reality-show/

The percentages of black and latino people here are low but it seems to me they're mostly middle class. Native people are the only group that's overwhelmingly lower income although Filipinos are certainly overrepresented among McDonald's employees.

I probably wouldn't want to be non-white in small redneck towns in Canada but I wouldn't want to be in them period.

I can only speak from the perspective of being a ginger white guy with a brown woman for the past 17 years, and with a lot of places I have yet to visit. My wife doesn't seem to think racism is a big issue here although she said Montreal seemed a bit racist. I commented, "How can you tell? Rudeness is part of French culture".
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 21 Aug 2014 at 08:49 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    North Carolina represent!
    http://youtu.be/tHnA94-hTC8

Carolina blue is my set!
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    Why isn't there a White Entertainment Channel?
    When is White History Month?
    Why don't we get a Straight Parade?
    Why can't I show pride in my race?
    Why is the gay agenda shoved down my throat?
    What happened to my civil rights?
    Why are white people being marginalized?
    Why can't I say "nigger" but they can say "cracker"?
    I wasn't a slave owner. Why do I have to "suffer" for something I wasn't a part of?
    Why can black people say racist things about white people, but if I say things about them, I'm racist?
    How come people talking about affirmative action handicaps whites who are talented enough to get the job/school placement, and gives jobs to dumber/untalented/undeserving non-whites?
    You are never going to get the typical idiot, especially of the American variety, to understand why those are fallacies. It's funny - if you can read the sentence, "Why can't I say nigger but they can say cracker?" and are smart enough to immediately identify the error in reasoning there, that makes it nigh impossible for you to understand why they can't figure it out.

The word Niger is a problem. Especially now as youth are shifting the meaning of prejudice and racism to coop the importance of movements in the past for their own.

(If you haven't been keeping up, the kids think racism is prejuduce+power and that no one of color can then be racist. Yes, they redefined the word. No they don't realize it. Someone found a book from the 70s about racism in the work place and made it gospel. Also, dictionaries are agents of the white man. I wish I was making this shit up)

Anyway. It is hard to claim that you want equality when you have words that only you can say. This has gotten even worse with all the botching about appropriating culture. Not only are there words whites can not say, but now white people can't do 'black' things.

We've went from black people wanting access to everything that all the other groups have to wanting special things. Things only for them. Whitey stay out. Iggy go home.

It all looks like self segregation to me. But what do I know?

This is not to say that I don't know why the word is bad. Or that I think it is like cracker. I dont. The kids have hurt their cause by shoving the word power into racism. Because it hides it from plain view. Bundled away. The issue is power. That the word was used for a long time inside an institution that oppressed. It isn't that the word is racist. It is that it is systematically racist while cracker is just racist. That extra word fucking maters.

It would be nice if we could all just agree the word was bad or ok. No one say it or everyone.

But that probably won't happen under capitalism. Nor will equality. As long as people are not equal you can sell tiered products.

Don't think for a second that mainstream black culture isn't a product. If you can have a store in the mall, your shit is suspect.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 22 Aug 2014 at 09:36 AM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    (If you haven't been keeping up, the kids think racism is prejuduce+power and that no one of color can then be racist. Yes, they redefined the word. No they don't realize it. Someone found a book from the 70s about racism in the work place and made it gospel.
    Historically, though, power structures were racist. Look up Citizen's Councils. Basically they were the Chamber of Commerce + the KKK. The white power structure used them to keep black people out of the mainline economy, denying them equality. MLK Jr. talked a lot about this, much of which has been forgotten become of one line in one speech.

Of course Citizens Councils aren't around anymore, and the whole concept of "white privilege" is... I don't know. I can't speak for the South, but here in the Northeast, I am competing with many of the best and brightest across the whole world. Of course you go on Gawker or whatever and the whole idea is that white people don't see it because they are ensconced in it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    The word Niger is a problem.
    No, that's a country in Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    No, that's a country in Africa.
    Sometimes it is ok to focus on what cheeks is saying and not how he says it.

10. Well, in that case, I agree with him. I know that I am white and can't understand, but I don't see how casually using that word among friends 'disarms it' because all the people that say that have a serious issue if a non-friend/white guy says it to them. How disarming can it possibly be, then? In my opinion, it is self-defeating, and I think there is some validity to the thought that some opponents of the word have--that the racist Whitey laughs at them when they use the word. "Look at those people going out of their way to degrade themselves, ha ha, don't they look stupid".

But also I have no earthly idea why someone who is white would WANT to use the word. I mean, the first thing I can understand because there is some reasoning/hope? although I think it's just wrong.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 22 Aug 2014 at 10:22 AM.