Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Capcom Suing Koei Tecmo for Patent Infringement in over 50 Games

I loved Ghost Trick, Zack & Wiki, and both of Grin's Bionic Commando games but those are all too niche to make much of an impact for sales. I suppose the 3d Bionic Commando had some mainstream potential but the backlash was strong there.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I think that the market is getting more hostile to those sorts of games over time. Even if Twitter makes it theoretically easier to find groups of people who love RE and ancient Japanese mythology and sell them Onimusha, it's hard to cut through the Kim Kardashian Hollywood and Flappy Bird fog.
    I think it's partially the cutting through the crap and partially that people love to hate. Pre-internet you were relying solely on magazines and maybe a friend to tell you if a game was as cool as the screenshots on the back of the box looked. These days almost everyone has a voice and negative ones tend to rise to the top very quickly, even if they're overblown and completely made-up (see: almost every popular YouTube channel about gaming). Spreading the word is about whoever can do it in a way that appeals to the largest amount of people the fastest and not whoever has an informed and/or balanced opinion, and joining in on hate is easy and lets people pretend they're better.

So yeah, spreading word of mouth these days is likely more harmful than good to many big games, particularly if they don't have an overwhelming marketing campaign to go up against that.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    I suppose the 3d Bionic Commando had some mainstream potential but the backlash was strong there.
    Before people even had a clue about the game they were crying about dreadlocks which never fucking mattered. Not that the game was great or anything, but it was basically arriving DOA from unfounded hate.

I like how everyone left out Monster Hunter.

There's also Lost Planet (who cares?) and Dragon's Dogma.

4. Phoenix Wright?

Oh Yoshi said it but with the subtitle. Never mind.

5. Monster Hunter is part of the problem.

Not putting that shit on PS3/360 with online play is just fucking stupid. Capcom you dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I like how everyone left out Monster Hunter.
    I thought quality was an implied hurdle. It would also go way back with Onimusha and DMC.

7. Monster Hunter was a PS2 franchise.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I thought quality was an implied hurdle.
    Just the lack of a second analog stick for most versions.

Phoenix Wright was also popular enough for a stage play and movie, so it's doing well enough for itself somewhere.

Because it is the best game.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Shou View Post
    Smell that desperation? That's a company who can longer make a hit.....turn back the clock 20 years ago to 1994....same thing but it was Data East and SSF2 wasn't selling
    IINM, SSF2 was originally to be SFIII with 8 new challengers instead of just 4. I find that easy to believe with all the other things thrown in (combo bonuses, first attacks, new moves, etc). Seriously, Capcom should've delayed this one for a year and made it into SFIII (new stages for the original 12 characters, new BGM, new endings, etc).

If you can't beat 'em, sue 'em... and fail. Although Capcom winning in 1994 would have stopped a glut of fighting games, this would've been a vile precedent. They'd have gotten the balls to go after ADK & SNK next. As things are, I count on Crapcom (they quit being Capcom around the mid-2000s) losing the case. I shout a big OBJECTION! at them.

The 3D Bionic Commando is good. The only thing I didn't like was a really bitter pill thrown into the storyline (a minor thing when the game play is so good though).

Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts
    KT should just make this go away by buying out Capcom.
    And then we need KTC to make Final Fight 4 on the DW engine. Instead of fighting 8-10 enemies at once, try 30. After that, KTC vs. SNK- throw in the DW, Last Blade, and SamSho characters.