Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Capcom Suing Koei Tecmo for Patent Infringement in over 50 Games

1. Laugh Capcom Suing Koei Tecmo for Patent Infringement in over 50 Games

Capcom's drunk again!

Quote Originally Posted by Joystiq

Capcom has filed suit against Koei Tecmo alleging that the Dynasty Warriors publisher infringed on key Capcom patents in recent games, according to a Sankei report translated by Siliconera.

The patent in question refers to backwards compatible content being transferred from a game to its predecessor. Imagine the Genesis-era Sonic & Knuckles cartridges. If you connect one to a Sonic 2 cartridge, you can play as Knuckles in the older game, despite his first appearance coming well after Sonic 2 hit store shelves. A more recent, topical example would be Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends, a standalone expansion that could be linked with the original Dynasty Warriors 8 to add additional stages and characters to the older musou brawler.

Capcom's suit alleges that 50 Koei Tecmo games are in violation of the patent. The Street Fighter publisher is seeking 980 million yen (about $9.4 million) in restitution as well as a temporary ban on sales of several Koei Tecmo games.

2. LOL, capcom looks THIRSTY.

3. "THE ONLY WAY WE CAN DESCRIBE OUR PATENT IS TO POINT TO AN OLDER GAME MADE BY A DIFFERENT PUBLISHER ENTIRELY"
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. I'm pretty sure the article writer made the game comparisons - not the lawsuit.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

5. Smell that desperation? That's a company who can longer make a hit.....turn back the clock 20 years ago to 1994....same thing but it was Data East and SSF2 wasn't selling
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

6. KT should just make this go away by buying out Capcom.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

7. Did something happen with the Capcom execs that made the company go from one of the best devs/pubs out there to complete crap in 1 generation?
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. Their series got stale and their best guys left. In that order.

9. They were still making new series during the PS2 gen though. The PS2 gen alone saw the introduction of Chaos Legion, Devil May Cry, God Hand, Killer 7, PN03, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Maximo, Onimusha,and more. I realize a lot of that came form the best guys that up and left. I still feel like some kind of corporate atmosphere/climate had to have changed because usually your best guys don't all just up and leave.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

10. Im pretty sure most of those did not make them money.