Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3545474849505153 ... LastLast

Thread: The #gameethics hashtag

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I like how I don't care about Anita Sarkeesian, everyone posting in this thread would cheerfully never think about Anita Sarkeesian again, and yet that's all anyone will talk about for the last several pages. It's like talking about the tree rather than the lightning. Don't we have more interesting things to go on about than a leafy hunk of wood?
    That is another tragedy in this.

By the news focusing on her victim hood, everyone misses the message.

She very well might have something worth hearing. But you'll never see it under the layers of victimhood and poorly made videos.

The 12 year old nerds got what they wanted, really. Everyone is so focused on how horrible 'gamers' are, they aren't reporting her arguments outside of 'gamers bad, women good'

But this is how it always goes. Report how NYC has been victimized on 911 and not how American foreign policy provoked the attack. Report about the victims of columbine and video games, and not how the US needs better mental healthcare for youth.

We never report on the real problem. Ever.

We're a country that only reports on gun crime when a crazy person kills small white children.

Then we try to ban assault rifles.

When the actual gun crime stat was built with mostly hand guns.

3. The message of "games treat women as sex toys or prizes or both" has been given loud and clear, and the reason for the gamersgate temper tantrum/terrorist threats is because of it. The conversation can be and is about more than a single thing at a time.

4. So it's not just about the thing you just said it was about, then?

I'm suspicious if it is really that simple.

Is the temper tantrums the main or only reaction or just the one that the opposition focuses on because it is useful? Are the tantrums even because of girls playing games? What reason do I have to accept anita's narrative on the tantrums when she has a vested interest in framing them a certain way?

There is also Occam's razor. And a huge secret horde of women haters is not the simplest explanation.

6. I'm sticking with my point that gamersgate is a bunch of entitled misogynist shits using any excuse they can to avoid growing up and start treating women as people. The story of women being hounded out of gaming has been going on for a long time, and now it's hit a flash point. This is the same thing that's been going on for several years turned up louder, is all. There's no need for Occam's razor, no secret horde of women haters. It's a vocal, psychotic bunch of assholes poisoning everything they touch, and while they may be 1 in 100 gamers the negativity they bring easily overwhelms the general decency. Plus the math of 1 in 100 gets scary when a game's fans number in hundreds of thousands to millions.

From the article I linked-

Just a few weeks ago, BioWare writer Jennifer Hepler ended up deleting her Twitter account to escape the hatred and abuse of gamers calling her an "obese cunt", a "fat bitch", a "whore", a "plague" and a "cancer", advising her to commit suicide and making harassing phone calls to her home.
    That's March, 2012. That's the exact same thing as today, except without death threats. Don't pretend for a minute that concerns over journalistic integrity have anything to do with it.
    Last edited by James; 19 Oct 2014 at 03:12 PM.

7. Yeah. She's totally framing feedback like "I'm going to go to your apartment at (home address) and rape you to death," to make it sound threatening.

8. Occam's razor dood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. WHO BENEFITS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

This is the web. It only takes 1 bored person.

Hell, you guys made me a blog. Is all of gaming out to get me?