Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Episode VI: Return of the JRPG

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    The JPS2 version was always in English. It's available on the Japanese store.
    Ah... I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the re-makes (i.e. Generation 1 and Generation 2), not the compilation of the original games. I own the PS2 disc of the compilation. And the original Saturn version as well.

2. I stopped buying iOS games because other than the Cave shmups, I never put much time into the others.

I have been going back and (re)play some of my PS2 favorites like DQ8, Rogue Galaxy, and Nocturne. Good times.

3. Dragon Quest VIII is on phones? It's $20? Meanwhile FFXIII is coming out of PC for like under $15?

I have no idea what is going on anymore.

4. Mobile ports hardly constitutes a comeback for the genre.

Sadly I haven't finished a new JRPG in a long time. Even the last few Tales games, which I used to follow religiously. I own a copy of Tales of Xillia signed by Hideo Baba and I still haven't played more than 2 hours in.

5. JRPG, the genre that never went away, people just think it did when Final Fantasy 7 didn't come out in the last 5 years
    Donk

6. I look at my ds/3ds and psp/vita collection and think there sure are a lot of jrpgs there. I look at my PS3 collection and think there sure are a lot of jrpgs there.
    I guess if you pride yourself on shitting on anything other than PC, you could think the genre disappeared.

JRPGs never went away but I lose interest in many of them because they're too damn long. I liked stuff like Xenoblade, Persona 4, and Lost Odyssey but there's just too much filler. Etrian Odyssey games seem pretty cool but I can't picture playing repetitive dungeon crawlers for 50 hours. The Last Story is a reasonable length but more focused on telling a mediocre story than being a good RPG. I did manage to play through some short-ish ones like 3DS Soul Hackers and FFXIII-2. I still have Resonance of Fate but haven't really delved into it. It seems to do my other JRPG pet peeve: having a battle system be convoluted and weird for the sake of it.

8. RoF's battle system is worth it. I also recommend The Last Remnant and Folklore as decent little titles.

I vaguely remember playing demos of those. Folklore might be a good one for me since it's under 20 hours.

10. I think if you don't do the side quests Last Remnant is also under 20. People complained it was stupid short at release. Just don't buy the 360 release because it's Square learning the Unreal Engine and being all