Page 1 of 18 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Episode VI: Return of the JRPG

Episode VI: Return of the JRPG

Thanks to new platforms and a potentially expanding audience, it looks like the JRPG sub-genre is bouncing back. In fact, I'd argue there has never been a better time to get into several huge series from the beginning.

The original Dragon Quest came out on iOS and Android today. IV and VIII are already there, and others are coming. The 3DS port of VII might even get translated.

The original Final Fantasy, or at least a remake thereof, is coming to 3DS as a 3D Classic. Essentially the entire 2D portion of the series is also available on iOS and Android. IV came out on Steam yesterday, joining III, VII, VIII, XI, and XIV. XIII was just announced at TGS for next month.

The original Shin Megami Tensei is in English for the first time on iOS. Several of the games in the series recently were released as PS2 Classics, while the entire Persona sub-series can be played on the Vita.

Then you have stuff like Earthbound coming out on Wii U VC and the enhanced Sega Ages 2500 Phantasy Star Collection coming out in English on JSEN/PSN. I'm tempted to try to play through some of these from beginning to end, though I have no idea where I'd find the time.

2. Was ready to laugh by expecting DQ1 to be $9.99 or higher, but was surprised to see it was only $2.99 and bought it. Why not?

All this portable garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    Was ready to laugh by expecting DQ1 to be $9.99 or higher, but was surprised to see it was only $2.99 and bought it. Why not?
    I didn't even check the price yet, but that is surprisingly low for SE.

edit: As opposed to this.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 18 Sep 2014 at 03:35 PM.

5. To be fair, their iOS ports (and a full on 3D remake in the case of The After Years) are extremely well-optimized for touch screens. I'm by no means a phone game guy, but I picked a handful of those up and enjoyed myself.

6. Needs moar moe.

7. Well yeah.

8. Yah yoshi you didn't mention the remake of the original of the excellent Hyper Dimension Neptunia series, Hyper Dimension Neptunia Re;Birth, available exclusively on PlayStation Vita-chan. You can start at the beginning of NepNep's story

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    ...the enhanced Sega Ages 2500 Phantasy Star Collection coming out in English on JSEN/PSN...
    My Google foo is no good. Couldn't find in announcement for the English version. Link?

The JPS2 version was always in English. It's available on the Japanese store.