Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 46789 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing? (Fall, 2014)

Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge. 3 floors in, and so far I like some of the changes to the combat system from older and retro games of this type, the magic system particularly offers a lot of options. It does the whole watch the sucky people you rolled get totally badass thing that this genre relies on really well.

But man, the aesthetics are horrible. I would far, far prefer a wireframe to this same awful "grey rock" texture. Likewise the sprites are just not compelling (although they are growing on me a little as the monsters get cooler). There is an awesome arranged soundtrack that comes with it, but the game ain't bumpin nothing but PC speaker blips best turned off. I also don't care for all the beast-people. There is a SFC port that seems way, way better in every way, but to my knowledge the English patch for it is only partial.

I dunno if I'm gonna move on to the next or not. The encounters better get really interesting, and the text evocative with a quickness. It seems like it could be cool, and the challenge is there.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

2. Try Legend of Grimrock 1/2, I heard they are good modern takes on the dungeon rpgs.

They are good, but they are Eye of the Beholder-style real-time joints which I don't care as much for.

4. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Remember Me – I started my second playthrough. Auto-platforming aside, I’m one of the few people that loved this game. Cyberpunk Paris looks amazing.
    There's an artbook for the game too - been meaning to get it, since Cyberpunk Paris is amazing to look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

Whoever designed the levels for Doom 2 are sadistic bastards. I love it.

That would be, mostly, the legendary Sandy Peterson, who also designed several of the best tabletop games ever made. Doom II got nothing on Call of Cthulhu for sadism.

Thank you, Sandy Peterson.

8. Megaman ZX Advent

The terrible map and level structure ruined the first one, but this one is sooogooooood.

I haven't gotten to it yet, but that sounds exciting!

10. If you're playing the first, abandon it immediately for the second.

The first also suffered from boring and ineffective weapons. The mermaid boss's spear, a shittier version of the sword you already have, was not compelling. So far the bioweapons in this game are rad. A form change isn't just a weapon change--your jump and movement properties change, too.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 20 Nov 2014 at 09:43 PM.