Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 245678 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Reminisce: Japanese Playstation 2 (and 1)

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Raiden Project was the game that really sold me on the PS1.
    I am not sure I've played that port even to this day. It came out during my "vertical shooters are the devil" phase which I have since gotten over. Literally what sold me my PS1 was RE, GameDay, and FaceOff, so I was probably a year or so after launch.

2. I think Discworld and Street Fighter Alpha were my first two games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I still keep the Ridge Racer 1 PS1 disc out to play on whatever PS system I have plugged up at the time.
    Not to sound like Yoshi, but why play the worst RR when RRR, Rage Racer, and RRT4 are so much better?

4. Dat Galaga.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Honestly, I don't have a good answer for that. Something in the game just clicks for me. Ridge Racer Revolution IS the better game though. I've never played Rage Racer, unfortunately, and RRT4 just didn't quite work for me.

I am in the middle of playing RRV right now. It's still quite enjoyable, I thoguht something was lost after V once they added nitrous boosts.

6. A local game store had an import PSX with Toshinden playable. SOLD!!

Kind of amazing looking at the time.

Well, at least Twisted Metal came out a few months later. That game was multi-player madness.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Literally what sold me my PS1 was RE, GameDay, and FaceOff, so I was probably a year or so after launch.
    EA Sports really fucked up and got demolished during that console transition.

Madden, NBA Live, & NHL were all terrible compared to GameDay, Shootout, & Faceoff.

It wasn't until the '98-'99 editions that EA finally got close to matching the quality of Sony's sports games.

Then the reverse happened during the PS2 transition, and Sony somehow forgot how to make good sports games besides baseball.

8. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Honestly, I don't have a good answer for that. Something in the game just clicks for me. Ridge Racer Revolution IS the better game though. I've never played Rage Racer, unfortunately, and RRT4 just didn't quite work for me.

I am in the middle of playing RRV right now. It's still quite enjoyable, I thoguht something was lost after V once they added nitrous boosts.
    Rage Racer is the middle ground between RRR and RRT4, so you might like it... or turn off by the RRT4 elements.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
    It wasn't until the '98-'99 editions that EA finally got close to matching the quality of Sony's sports games.
    NHL 98 demolished my brain when I first played it.

What got me to buy the PS1 was, surprisingly, BioFroge for the PC. I thought "Well, this isn't anti-aliased and I can deal with this. Why not get a PS1?"

10. I was a PC guy, the PS1 was mostly like, 'wow this looks crap, my eyes are getting cut up by the blockiness and texture mapping'

however...the NFS 3 version of the PC was way better looking but not as fun as PS1 version, so I dealt with it sometimes