Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 791011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

1. Under the hood seems to be very solid, and the UI is a big improvement over 8 and even offers some good features next to 7, so I'm pretty content. I usually get dragged kicking and screaming to Windows upgrades, and this one will take some getting used to for sure, but I'm impressed so far.

2. What do you have to reinstall from previous windows installations?
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

3. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    installed upgrade on laptop, windows 10 drivers for amd gpu refuse to play hardware accelerated video and my dvdrw drive simply does not work because of a lack of drivers (even generic ones)

hopefully a clean install off usb will fix it up

Have you tried opening up your control panel and looking under device manager?

Make sure you carefully read the privacy settings. Windows 10 sounds a lot like Android from this point of view, and that's not a compliment.

edit: This is pushing me even more strongly toward a multi-boot where I would use Win10 for nothing but playing games.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 31 Jul 2015 at 11:40 AM.

5. I reinstalled 8.1 and upgraded to 10 and fresh installed 10 (skipping the key entry) only to find out I have a key that is blocked. I don't know if it's the "bad" key since I tossed that paper I jotted it down on.

This whole thing has been really stupid.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Make sure you carefully read the privacy settings. Windows 10 sounds a lot like Android from this point of view, and that's not a compliment.

edit: This is pushing me even more strongly toward a multi-boot where I would use Win10 for nothing but playing games.
    You can opt out of a lot of the stuff that would cause privacy concerns. Meaning, you can run it without a Microsoft or XBL account, and turn off the features that send data on you. Luckily for now, pretty much 100% of that shit can be disabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    I reinstalled 8.1 and upgraded to 10 and fresh installed 10 (skipping the key entry) only to find out I have a key that is blocked. I don't know if it's the "bad" key since I tossed that paper I jotted it down on.

This whole thing has been really stupid.
    Why are you so hellbent on fresh installing? It has other options that more or less produce the same effect.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    You can opt out of a lot of the stuff that would cause privacy concerns. Meaning, you can run it without a Microsoft or XBL account, and turn off the features that send data on you. Luckily for now, pretty much 100% of that shit can be disabled.
    Considering how much you shill for Android I'm surprised you care.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Why are you so hellbent on fresh installing? It has other options that more or less produce the same effect.
    At this point, it probably doesn't matter since I had to fresh isntall everything again anyway (meaning that maybe I should just go 8.1->10 upgrade and stop). but I like to be lean and I don't fully trust an upgrade process (even on a fresh install, I guess) to be totally lean.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Considering how much you shill for Android I'm surprised you care.
    I mean, if we're not bullshitting oursevles, running a smarthphone... ANY smartphone is about the worst thing you can do in terms of keeping your data private, but THAT SAID, Cyanogenmod is probably the best option on the smartphone market in terms of privacy and actually has some pretty good tools in that regard (although ultimately, google's services are too tempting to resist entirely, alas).

Polygon put up a handy guide for disabling all this junk on Win 10:
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/31/907...privacy-how-to
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 31 Jul 2015 at 01:50 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Have you tried opening up your control panel and looking under device manager?
    multiple times, not my first rodeo with computers... there is no driver whatsoever that I can download to make it work or even show up

turns out there's no drivers for my printer on win10 either, but the 8 ones slide in nicely

the accelerated video stuff is mostly dxva and graphics vendors not implementing the new directx garbage in their drivers yet

e: it's obvious this os is still mad beta and ms wanted it in this launch window for whatever reason, they really should have waited until october
    Last edited by cka; 31 Jul 2015 at 01:49 PM.