Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

1. So the only real compatibility problems I've noticed seem to be related to fullscreen mode in games. Some games (Outcast 1.1 for example) work fine in windowed mode, but freeze up at certain points in fullscreen. Can't seem to figure it out. DOSbox also crashed until I changed the draw mode from DDraw to Surface.

2. The biggest problem I've read about is that the "app" database for the start screen, which also maintains all start menu shortcuts, is limited to 500 entries. It shouldn't be a problem for most users, but if you have a lot of programs installed that have extraneous crap (web links, manuals, etc.) in their start menu folders, you'll eventually have to hunt for some things in the file system when that limit is reached.

3. I'm all clean installed and I deleted the old stuff, which dropped my C drive to less than 30 gigs. Now to start gathering crap all over again!

4. I upgraded, it took about 2 hours from start of download to me figuring things out and getting it the way I like. No problems, looks like everything I use the most works fine. It's really...clean? I think that's the word I'm looking for. It seems super fast so far too, I like the modified Start menu and Edge feels (and looks) like Microsoft's version of Chrome. The search bar next to the start button is great, the Xbox app is pretty swank too. I'm poking around the settings and such, checking out what's new/changed now. I like a lot of the little touches the more I use it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm all clean installed and I deleted the old stuff, which dropped my C drive to less than 30 gigs. Now to start gathering crap all over again!
    I've pretty much done a clean Windows install on 3 computers in the past 2 months. I still have several games I need to download again, as well disc based stuff to install. I'm not looking forward to having to go through all of this again (with Windows 10) on 2 computers. It can sometime take months before I get everything back to the way it was. I may hold off a month or 2 before I install Windows 10.

6. I had to roll back to 7 until 10 isn't a beta anymore

also lol https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows...164057617.html

7. That's why I turned all that crap off lol.

8. Yeah, there's a lot of crap to turn off when you install this thing. Also be sure to turn off the thing that has you uploading updates to other users, torrent-style.

I've been pretty happy with it so far, though. It is a bit fussy with some older applications. The good news is the compatibility modes seem very effective at fixing most of these. The bad is that it seems terrible at coping with things when they do go wrong, and not allowing me to pull up the task manager and just kill the offending process.

I think most of these problems were actually introduced in Windows 8 and I found fixes or patches for most of them. The only I didn't was Sonic CD running at like 10x speed and that was fixed by using Windows 7 compatibility mode.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 03 Aug 2015 at 06:02 PM.

9. Does the release version let you schedule Windows updates, or does it just bog down your system at the most inconvenient possible time like the preview?

10. Pro lets you schedule/defer, Home does it when it wants to.