Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 212141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

1. The only computer that I want to have Windows 10 on is my main gaming rig. I only want that for DX12.

I may also let it install on my gaming PC in the living room, but that will only happen if I think it's okay. I'd like to hold out until the final days, before it is no longer a free upgrade.

2. I updated from 8.1 and I'm mostly okay with that choice. I hate a lot of things about 10, but 8.1 was heading in the same direction.
    After completely removing the windows store and its associated bloatware, mostly fixing privacy and security settings, and protecting folders for programs that WU likes to remove, I'm content with how things work.
    I certainly won't be using Windows on my next PC, though.

3. Anyone have a link to a good guide for the Win10 update, specifically in regards to what needs to be amputated with a rusty hacksaw? Now that I've used and tested the new PC for a week it's time to bite the bullet and get my DX12 access.

Fresh install, select advanced options when asked, uncheck everything.

5. My computer just rebooted itself while I was in the middle of working to do an update without prompting me to confirm anything. I was fine up until this. Fuck this Windows 10 thing.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

6. I've held out for about as long as I could before the deadline. I'm pretty much just doing the update install over a fresh install, since this was pretty much a new build about 9 months ago. If it doesn't go well, I may end up just starting all over with a fresh install.

Edit*

Well that shit didn't work out. It gets to about 85% and then it gets an error. I'm going to have to clear up one of my external drives, so I can do a backup of my 512 GB SSD. I think I'll need to do a clean install at this point.
    Last edited by gamevet; 22 May 2016 at 02:19 PM.

7. if you're still trucking along on 7 and want to update to 10, microsoft put out a roll-up update that gets everything up to date for the upgrade to succeed

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...ows-7-and-8-1/

8. It'll be nice for those sticking with 7 as well. I'll have to get this rolled into our install media at work.

9. found out that my laptop hasn't been installing windows updates since march and windows update itself was basically hosed, so I bit the bullet and did a clean 10 install with the digital entitlement license

seems a lot better than when it launched but still feels very "Beta 5"-ish, even had explorer wig out a couple times while I was playing with virtual desktops

e: dvdrw drive still doesn't work, I think people have abandoned writing/maintaining optical drive drivers in tyool 2016

e2: got it working! turns out windows' default sata driver is garbage, installed amds' and its all smooth sailing now
    Last edited by cka; 09 Jun 2016 at 11:32 PM.

10. I really don't know why my main rig won't complete the Windows 10 install. It has pretty much been kept up to date with all of the latest updates for Windows 7. I ended up installing Windows 10 on my PC in the living room, and everything went okay, except for the need to install one Windows NET frame update.