Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3131516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

1. What the fuck is up with this shitty version of Windows?

I fixed the sound card configurations over a week ago, and everything was working fine. I decided to fire this computer up today, so I could install GTA V on it. The receiver showed that it was receiving a 5.1 signal from the card, but I get no sound. Even the software for Sound Blaster got confused after screwing around with every sound setting I could think of. I'd reboot the computer, but I'm 5 discs in on the install.
    Last edited by gamevet; 18 Jul 2016 at 09:32 PM.

2. I fucking hate sound blaster drivers nowadays. I probably wouldn't blame windows for anything involving them.

3. I didn't know Sound Blaster was still around.

4. Yeah, they still make cards. I have it in my living room PC, because the Asus-Z67 board's onboard audio doesn't have a lot of the surround features that the Sound Blaster Recon supports with gaming. Creative does own a lot of the licenses to certain sound software like Dolby Digitial Live, so unless your board manufacturer (some boards have Creative's X-Fi onboard) licensed it from them, it just not going to be there without some digging around the internet for files to install. I could probably remove the SB card I have on my Z87 board in the office, since it does support DTS Ultra II and DTS connect.

My install of GTA V on the Windows 10 PC just crashed on the last disc.
    Last edited by gamevet; 18 Jul 2016 at 09:54 PM.

5. I decided to give it another go today. I did a fresh install of the latest drivers from Creative and everything went smoothly. The 5.1 surround sounds a lot better than it did before the Windows 10 update. Everything sounds just as good as when I have the PS4 hooked up.

GTA V installed with no problems and the game actually runs pretty well on the old GTX 670 FTW. I had to cut down a couple of settings, but the game is running at a rock solid 60 fps.

I'm going to try to do the update on my main rig this weekend. It hasn't gone well the last 5 times I tried, so now I'm going to try it with only the boot drive connected and any other accessories disconnected.

6. in this last week of the free digital entitlement license, don't install a fresh copy of 7 for 10 cause that shit took my tower 8 hours to upgrade for no good reason

7. I ended up downloading Windows 10 to a thumb drive. I thought that I could just do the upgrade from there, but it told me that the Windows 7 key wasn't good. I ended up wiping out my boot SSD and doing a fresh install. I decided to go ahead and certify my copy of Windows and ended up entering the Windows 7 key again. It turns out that I had entered an 8, where a B was supposed to be. I wouldn't have done the clean install, had I noticed my entry error.

I thought I had all of my other stuff covered, with most of my games being on the other 3 drives. It turns out that GOG was on my boot drive, but my Witcher 3 games was on drive F. I used GOG to transfer the game file over to the drive with GOG on it. My game save didn't transfer and I've lost the 15 hours of gameplay I had saved. Sigh.....

Was I the only one who didn't realize that you couldn't transfer your "free" Windows 10 license if you change more than 3/10 hardware components and possibly less? In other words, if you significantly upgrade your system, you have to buy Windows 10, and that fact is hidden in typical Microsoft slimy lawyer speak.

edit: According to this, my retail Windows 7 license should still allow me to transfer, but that's counter to everything else I am reading.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 31 Jul 2016 at 05:59 PM.

9. Does phone activation still work? I used it to install 8.1 on a totally different pc.

10. I've heard that you can just call MS and they'll verify for you over the phone if you have too many hardware changes.

Whether that changed now that the free upgrade period is over, I dunno. But it sounded pretty painless from most accounts before.