Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

1. Seriously, it's pre-release OS, something that needs extraordinarily thorough testing

This isn't "Battlefield Beta" where it's more of a marketing thing and a stress test and no one is really taking it seriously

2. http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/17/w...?ncid=rss_full

Genuine and Non-Genuine copies of 7 and 8 get the free upgrade. Trying to get that marketshare.

That's only confirmed for China though. Frankly, I hope it's only legit copies here.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    That's only confirmed for China though. Frankly, I hope it's only legit copies here.
    Hm, yeah I didn't read it that way, but you're right. I'm legit so I'm good. I wonder what would keep somebody from VPN'ng to China and activating that way?

5. Maybe nothing, but you'd likely have to keep your applocale and such to Chinese, so good luck with error messages, installs, and programs that identify that way.

6. I tried out the preview over the weekend, and the Windows 8.2 moniker definitely fits. It's not really much different in terms of features and performance.

It seems like a major part of every new Windows version is shuffling around settings for no apparent reason without really adding anything, and that's definitely the case here.

The biggest problems I've had with 8 and 8.1 are the new UI acting wonky, and system settings being scattered between the two UI's, and that hasn't changed. The new start menu rarely worked for me, and when it did, it was slow and glitchy. Windows update just kind of does its own thing and there no longer seems to be a way to schedule updates for a convenient time. I'm hoping that gets fixed soon, but I always planned on waiting a few months after retail release before I get the upgrade so things like that can get ironed out. I really wish there was an option for classic desktop and control panels, but there are bound to be third party hacks

The part I was most impressed with was how painless it was to revert to 8.1. It only took about 15 minutes and getting rid of the crap Windows 10 left behind was simply a matter of deleting a few folders from the root directory of my hard drive.

7. My machine is fast as the fucking Flash with Win10 on. From hitting Shut Down and Restart to being able to do anything in 8 seconds. My Win7 build was pretty fast, 8 and 8.1 booted like fucking garbage for some reason, so it was nice to be back in the fast lane.

8. Was your Windows 8/8.1 an upgrade, or a clean install?
    I had terrible boot times until I did a clean install.
    I did Windows 10 through Windows Update and it was basically the same as booting 8.1.

9. 8/1 Clean.
    10 through Update, fast.
    10 didn't play nice, but doesn't matter because I house my doc folders off of C so I did a clean install and it was stupid fast.

10. It would be amazing if MS stopped shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic and did stuff like "making it so clean and upgrade installs are the same."

I got a Mac with Mountain Lion and its on Yosemite and performs as well as any other machine with those specs on Yosemite. I never nuked it.