Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

1. I said fuck it, my C drive is just my OS and some random programs anyway, all my pictures/music/video are on other drives and all backed up.

So far shit seems to work and, yup, it's windows alright. I opted out of everything during install that said it would send my data anywhere. I assume in the coming weeks there will be a master list of where to go and what to turn off to actually have some relative privacy.

2. So oddly enough, the upgrade program works with pirated copies of Windows, and produces a fully activated Windows 10 with its own license key.

I upgraded my laptop from 8.1 and I'm going to play with that to decide if I like it before I upgrade my desktop from 7. Seems agreeable so far, but I really only spent maybe 15 minutes with it before bed last night.

3. After upgrading, I did the fresh install thing and now I can't activate Windows...I don't have a key, my 8.1 retail key doesn't work. It's really dumb.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    After upgrading, I did the fresh install thing and now I can't activate Windows...I don't have a key, my 8.1 retail key doesn't work. It's really dumb.
    It gives you a key after updating. If you go to system, you can see it. Write it down.

5. well, I didn't write it down so am I totally screwed?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    well, I didn't write it down so am I totally screwed?
    Maybe. I mean you can always reinstall 7 or 8 and re-upgrade. Pain in the ass, but it should work.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    After upgrading, I did the fresh install thing and now I can't activate Windows...I don't have a key, my 8.1 retail key doesn't work. It's really dumb.
    you don't need it the 10 license is tied to your hardware, not to a license key

8. My assumption was that the whole reason I needed to do the upgrade before doing the fresh install was because the tool to make the fresh install spun up a "clean install installation edition" personalized to me (or my valid 8.1 key/upgrade/whatever). But when setting the fresh install up, it asked for a key (up front), and I put in a generic key I got online (since the 8.1 key did not work). That won't activate, but neither will the 8.1 key I have.

9. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    after a clean install my same issues continue

they probably should've left this one in the oven a bit longer, people wouldn't have minded I'm sure
    Honestly, I don't mind Windows 8.1 at all after having adjusted to it.

I have the upgrade icon for 10 now and while I'm interested, I think I'm going to hold off at least until Service Pack 1 is released just to make sure any potential bugs are worked out. I'm reading reviews that are saying it's still basically Win 8 under the hood so there should be zero compatibility issues, but I want to hear what people are saying after some extended real-world use first before trying it myself.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 30 Jul 2015 at 10:11 AM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

10. ^^^ probably for the best as the polish on this release is kind of dull

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    My assumption was that the whole reason I needed to do the upgrade before doing the fresh install was because the tool to make the fresh install spun up a "clean install installation edition" personalized to me (or my valid 8.1 key/upgrade/whatever). But when setting the fresh install up, it asked for a key (up front), and I put in a generic key I got online (since the 8.1 key did not work). That won't activate, but neither will the 8.1 key I have.
    yeah just hit 'skip', if you did a upgrade previously on your 8.1 install it'll activate fine on its own
    Last edited by cka; 30 Jul 2015 at 10:25 AM.