Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 68910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

1. Well, I didn't, so I kind of think I am hosed. I wonder if I can even get the upgrade now if I do a fresh install of 8.1

But also I wonder why MS doesn't think that tons of people would do the same exact thing I just did.

2. I'm sure you can get it if you reinstall. It works with pirated copies ffs.

3. Yeah you can even run a command prompt to start the upgrade even if the icon isn't there yet.

4. Command prompt? I just downloaded the installer from MS's page.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 30 Jul 2015 at 05:33 PM.

5. I didn't see that before I saw someone show a command prompt that just starts the automatic update.

So there's apparently tons of ways to do this.

6. I read that one reason why people have not gotten the notification is that Microsoft is pushing out patches and fixing compatibility problems as they go along.

Who knows. But maybe this is one reason why it's seemed a bit sketchy to date. I'll keep waiting.

7. One of my computers got the notification, but it just asked for my email and "reserved" my copy and nothing happened.

Notification horseshit aside, I'm extremely impressed with how smooth the upgrade process is. I upgraded both of my computers, and one was perfect out of the box, and the other was perfect except I had to reinstall the video driver. In both cases all my programs and settings carried over beautifully, and all of the drivers except the GeForce did too. This really does seem like a new Microsoft to me.

Joust's troubles seem to have come from doing things the hard old fashioned way rather than from things not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    This really does seem like a new Microsoft to me.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-so...to-remove-ads/

9. Who gives a shit, I can still run the old solitaire

It's a sign of things to come, but as long as they don't find a way to charge for DX12, I don't care, since that's the only thing I want out of Win10 anyway.