Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 35678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks (Showtime 2016)

1. I love every second of this bullshit so far. I don't think it's out of step at all with the original series, I was expecting something reprehensible like Inland Empire but no, this is pretty much in line with the odder aspects of the original.

Rewatching the last half of the last episode of season 2 and then Fire Walk With Me is the correct choice going into things.

I really like how they clearly have a really awesome budget for effects, but will intentionally throw some odd/bad ones in once in a while (especially with the more supernatural elements), it shouldn't work but it really kinda does. Heightens the WTF.

The musical guests on the credits have been pretty great.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 28 May 2017 at 03:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. I understand the "this isn't Twin Peaks" gripe. It's not shot like the old series at all--that whole soap opera aesthetic is gone, there's very little music, it's much different tonally, etc. I love it, though. I don't think the soap opera schtick would have held up in 2017.

3. The first 10 min of episode 3 is batshit crazy, and I like it.

4. So far I've only met one other person who dislikes it as strongly as I do. I appreciate that it's something from Lynch but i just wish the twin peaks name wasn't attached to it. All the positive elements of the show just aren't there. Mr jackpots was funny tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. SPOILERS ALL OVER

I am loving this as well, sorry to disappoint Sats. The way we just pick up right where we left off and start rocketing into the sun is amazing. The imagery is wonderful.

There's so much lore, I don't even know where to start. I guess the most interesting thing to me is that someone is trying to kill Coopers, or Black Lodge residents, or potential hosts. The kid watching the glass box thought the owner was a billionaire, and Darya claimed they were going to "split half a million" for killing Bad Coop. Could be the same person. The glass box also seemed to keep Dale from entering the "real" world straightaway and detoured him to the Purple Zone instead.

The numbers peppered throughout are also a thing. I think 430/ Richard and Linda is the only bit we don't have any clues for yet. 119 could just be 911 backwards, but I would be a little surprised if it were that basic.

The effect when Dougie evaporated in the Red Room was incredible, absolutely loved that.

6. Second episode worried me a little, I wasn't a fan of a lot of the stuff in the red room, but the rest of the series has more than made up for it. The way some of the effects look is really odd, they'll look fake as hell but it just adds to the surrealism.

7. No worries, I'm in the extreme minority here. I'll give the next ep a try tonight :/

8. ....and it was nearly unwatchable! Lynch sure loves to make his female characters in this completely one dimensional and insufferable. That's very disappointing bc in the majority of his works, the women were very interesting and remarkable.

9. And the male characters are well-rounded and believable? That's just Twin Peaks imo. The series was, after all, a faux soap opera. Of course the characters are going to be flat.

10. It's worse than flat, they are just obnoxious. All the female leads of the original had a purpose, and they weren't just there for the purpose of screeching at the male leads, or "eye candy." It was laughable when the twiggy tall girl FBI agent was being ogled by the FBI agents when she bent over - I mean, she had no ass to speak of, lol. All the women in every scene so far were there as silent supporters to a main male character, or to bitch at them, or to sit and look pretty. I mean I usually don't give a fuck if women are objectified in movie roles, that's entertainment and it's what sells. But for Lynch? Come on....he's smarter than this. He's created some of the most iconic female characters of all time. TBH I feel like he's actively trying to ruin the series in sort of a Buddhist detachment ritual, which is fine for him, but it's boring. We're 5 episodes in and Cooper is still drooling on himself and we went to space, briefly. Like I said, I appreciate art for art's sake, but this is just dumb and lame.

I know, I know, "don't watch it then, Sats!" But, I'm on the internet so i'm gonna bitch.