Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Better Drum Sounds

I Need Better Drum Sounds

So I have no drummers to work with here in Seattle and the drum sounds I have are fucking weak. I need something that will give a bit of a "feel" to my programming, and not make it sound like a drum machine. You know, a bit of a difference between hits. I haven't really done anything like this for 10 years or so, so anyone with some experience in this field is welcome to chime in. I use a Mac, and no I will not dual boot to Windows.

2. This is often what holds me up as well with recording. Sorry that I don't have anything helpful to add but I'm interested in what you learn about this.

3. Have you checked out the new drummer feature in GarageBand/Logic Pro? I've heard good things about it.

4. Stand outside the market with some cardboard that says "WILL SUCK DICK FOR DRUMMER"
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. Ableton live. That "feel" you're talking about is called swing. You can do your drums either by drawing in a grid which scales all the way to 16th notes or hook up a midi device like an MPC and tap em out and record. Then go back and edit to your hearts content or quantize them. Then if you want a groove or swing, feel free to add one to your drums by selecting from some presets or rip "grooves" from drum solos you dig and apply em to your own.

or just use samples. Which you can tweak and apply grooves to also in ableton.

I know about swing, daddy-o.

Samples are great, if they're individual hits. I've done a lot of work with samples in the past using nuendo, I guess if I had a sample library of drums I could just drag them into multiple audio tracks and snap them into place. I just don't have said sample library. I guess what I'm saying is each hit being slightly different. Like, if I hit a snare drum (irl) 100 times each one is going to be slightly different from the next because I'm a human, and can't hit the same place on the drum with the exact same strength each time.

7. All the kids use Superior Drummer these days.
    Boo, Hiss.

8. Sampled drum packs are not hard to find. I think ableton even comes with some. Just make a drum rack in ableton which can hold like 128 different samples if I remember right. Trigger em with a MPC and go nuts with the settings. Some of the official ableton instruments allow you to fiddle with just about every variable you can think of. Size of room, how hard you hit, type of drum stick. Just be wary that it'll be really CPU heavy.

Sample the drums from Megaman 2 and be awesome.

No. I can do NES drum sounds in my sleep. I got over the whole "chip tune" scene back in 2006 or so.

Here is 2006 for you:

I'm currently waiting for Superior Drummer to, uh, ship. I'll give Abelton a go too. Thanks for the input.