Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Retro Reviews on YouTube

1. Good Retro Reviews on YouTube

I'm looking for suggestions on good Youtube channels that review 8 and 16 bit games. I find that stuff very entertaining.

The two best have to be the Angry Video Game Nerd and Jon Tron.
    Classic Game Room and CGR Undertow are also great.
    I found two reviews named Snesman and Retro Snow, but they don't update anymore.
    Then there is my favorite Euro guy, Kimble Justice.

So what else is out there? Serious, goofy, shit games, good games, anything as long as it is 8 and 16 bit and is presented well.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions on good Youtube channels that review 8 and 16 bit games. I find that stuff very entertaining.

The two best have to be the Angry Video Game Nerd...
    Walkinwalkout.gif

3. Gamesack and Gamester81 are pretty cool.

I've been meaning to start a thread to see which gaming channels could pass majority TNL approval. Might as well use this one!

Gamester81 is not cool, ew.

I'm pretty confident Game Sack will pass, despite the dudes sometimes having terrible opinions.

Don't forget the TNL stuff: Coury has My Life in Gaming, Melf has Sega 16 and I recently started a channel Mzo.

I'm going to nominate Matthewmatosis and Super Bunnyhop.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

5. I totally forgot about Game Sack. Yeah, I love that channel. Let me check those others...

I liked his Ninja Gaiden thing. He's still around?

7. Game Sack remains the gold standard. Gamester81 has a name...and I don't really get why. He doesn't go into much depth about things unless they're technical, which is fine, but not my thing. Kimble Justice is fantastic. CGR and Undertow are too limited and basically just do first impressions instead of reviews. SomeCallMeJohnny goes into a ton of depth about topics - kind of like Kimble Justice, but a bit more laid back. PushingUpRoses tends to cover older PC stuff, but dabbles in consoles as well.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 24 Oct 2014 at 02:17 PM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

SomeCallmeJohnny is pretty good. He talks really fast in a weird monotone, but he's good at games and I don't hate his reviews.

The Completionist would be way better if it didn't try so hard to be Youtube obnoxious for the kids. Jirard has done some impressive shit, though I don't like that you don't actually see him do any of it.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

9. This Kimble Justice guy isn't bad. Really enjoyed the Ninja Gaiden review.

Watched a few of the Gamesack guys... maybe I didn't watch their stand-out episodes, but their weird Sega vs Nintendo fanboyism seems kind of off to me. And I don't really like the alternating mini review format where they fire through a list of games that much.

Why is everyone shitting on AVGN? I love AVGN. When I discovered him circa 2008, I practically pulled an all-nighter watching his entire series up to that point. Since then I've probably watched most of his episodes day-one. I like showing them to other people, both gaming enthusiasts and very casual players. Sure, they aren't "objective" reviews but I actually appreciate his negative reviews, because the gameplay footage always backs up his arguments. (Even though I will never agree that Zelda 2 is shit.) Plus, I connect a little more on the production-quality side of things, having been thru the film school experience (sort of) myself and seeing someone like James absolutely kill it with his narrative pieces is wonderful. And Dream Phone Episode > AVGN Movie (though AVGN movie is quite an achievement.)

In general I check his site about once a day - there's a lot of content, and I'm really digging the James & Mike Mondays videos. They're actually a great way to show off games that don't fall into the "shitty" category, and they're more casual and I like the conversational tone of James and Mike's banter, with many episodes being 20 mins+/multiple parts - and well-edited for pacing. They feel honest.

I really am enjoying this thread, keep the suggestions coming!

I don't like Mike Matei at all =[