Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014-2015 Major League Baseball Hot Stove Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Brettmatic View Post
    Maybe they can unload Ubaldo Jimenez on the Jays as part of the deal.
    Dear god, NO.

2. Apparently the jays are walking away, O's wanted too much in return. 2 top prospects and a 1st round pick, lol

3. They are publicly walking away. Now everyone can relax and then come back in secret to finish the deal if it's there to be done.

If Manfred allows any of this bullshit to occur, America's major leagues will all be garbage.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    If Manfred allows any of this bullshit to occur, North America's major leagues will all be garbage.
    100% agree.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    If Manfred allows any of this bullshit to occur, America's major leagues will all be garbage.
    Tell me Yoshi, do you bitch about Illegal Defense in college basketball, or when they raised the pitchers mound in MLB? Is every possible means of defense justified in your eyes? If the catcher throws sand in the batters face before the pitch would that be cool with you, as it means less runs scored against your team? What about being able to sneak into the other teams locker room and destroying their bats? Are you good with that? After all if they were smart they would have been defending the bats would they not?

The shift while not illegal it's not what I want to see when I tune into a game. I don't care if they get the batter out normally, strike them out all you want, that's fair play. The shift just goes against the nature of the game in my eyes. I'm not advocating some sort of trapezoid that players cannot wander from ever, but I would suggest that if for example you are a third baseman then you need to start the play manning that base. Otherwise why not just have everyone wearing body armor standing two feet from the plate? That'd be legal too would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    Tell me Yoshi, do you bitch about Illegal Defense in college basketball
    There is no such thing, is there? You can't play zone in the NBA (which is stupid), but you can in college.

when they raised the pitchers mound in MLB?
    Yes, actually.

Is every possible means of defense justified in your eyes?
    Pretty much every originally legal one, yes. I say "pretty much" only because something obscure would probably be the exception.

If the catcher throws sand in the batters face before the pitch would that be cool with you, as it means less runs scored against your team? What about being able to sneak into the other teams locker room and destroying their bats? Are you good with that? After all if they were smart they would have been defending the bats would they not?
    You're so far off in the weeds here that's it's not even worth a response.

The shift while not illegal it's not what I want to see when I tune into a game. I don't care if they get the batter out normally, strike them out all you want, that's fair play. The shift just goes against the nature of the game in my eyes. I'm not advocating some sort of trapezoid that players cannot wander from ever, but I would suggest that if for example you are a third baseman then you need to start the play manning that base. Otherwise why not just have everyone wearing body armor standing two feet from the plate? That'd be legal too would it not?
    I'm pretty sure the equipment has to be approved, so you're unlike to see your 3B wearing Kevlar. What I'd like to see is the hitters who are so devoid of talent that they can't learn to go the other way not make it to the majors. That's how you stop the shift.

8. Obviously I'm being absurd with some of those comments, but I feel this insistence of yours that every single rule change is Satan incarnate is just silly. Pro Sports are first and foremost a form of entertainment, a business. If what is being put out on the field is not being found to be entertaining by the public then the league is justified in changing the rules.

You are right that players who cannot hit against a shift are far too numerous, but they exist because parts of the game have become hyper specialized. Why not force starting pitchers to finish the game like they used too as well?