Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jurassic Park (Arcade)

I just hate it when there isn't an option for higher difficulty. Most FPS or music games are good about offering easy and hard settings. But then you have open-ended stuff like GTA5 and Red Dead Redemption stuck on an easy setting you can't change. GTA used to be difficult and it sold like crazy so there wasn't even a reason to dumb it down. And then there's RPGs with enemy scaling to make sure no area is challenging.

2. GTA was difficult for stupid design reasons. In 3, the second you stepped foot into another gangs territory, they all knew it and started firing. It was infuriating.

Higher difficulty settings only work if the developer takes the time to do them right. Far too many games take the easy route and just buff enemy health and damage, making the game more difficult without making it more interesting. Bayonetta and DmC show how it should be done: altered enemy waves that throw more difficult enemies at you more frequently, reduce your ability to stagger or juggle them, and make them faster and more aggressive. If developers aren't willing to go this far, I'd rather that they just not include multiple difficulties at all.

Even the lazy route of making enemies deal more damage would be better than nothing. Red Dead Redemption felt like I had an invincibility cheat on so I lost interest entirely. It's not like it's worth playing for the story alone.

5. I notice you guys keep on playing those games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Finding flaws in games does not preclude finding enjoyment in them as well.

7. I dunno man. The diminishing returns for AAA games took over for me a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I notice you guys keep on playing those games.
    I have to try games to see if I like them. Checking out videos on youtube can't tell you everything, and these are genres I'm into when done well.

And this, too -
    Quote Originally Posted by bVork
    Finding flaws in games does not preclude finding enjoyment in them as well.

9. We are all an endangered species. Though, I do believe 2 generations from now, the industry will correct itself in that more gameplay intensive games will be desired by the marketplace as the new current gen of mainstream mobile gamers become educated as to what is a good game.

Difficult Ramping is something about all Western devs have sucked at and continue to under emphasize in design.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

10. Jurassic Park (Arcade)

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    My feeling is that gaming used to be a niche hobby in general, and seeking it out and making time for it was close to synonymous with being good at it.

Now that it's completely mainstream there are people who own consoles and games but are terrible at the act of playing said video games, unless they are AAA titles designed to funnel them through an experience and pat them on the back when they're done.
    I just finished Advanced Warfare and it was just like that. Hardened difficulty too. And it was glorious.

I'm old, man. I don't have time to be good at video games anymore.