Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Kid Friendly RPGs

Kid Friendly RPGs

I've managed to hook my daughter on many genres, including bullet hell shooters, but I'd like to also encourage her to read more. My brother taught himself to read when he was four or five by playing the original Final Fantasy, but that obviously wasn't planned or anything. Are there any modern RPGs that are kind friendly in terms of complexity? I'm thinking of something a kin to Mystic Quest. Her reading and vocabulary is exceptional, so I'm actually more worried about the complexity of the gameplay and maybe the appropriateness of the theme than the reading level. A DS/3DS/PSP game would be ideal, since she can play those without commandeering my Vita or a TV for extended periods.

edit: I guess Pokemon and Costume Quest should have been obvious choices. Anything else?

edit2: Am I correct that the GBA FireRed and LeafGreen are the newest versions of the original games in that series? She has a DS Lite, so she could play those.

edit3: Here is a summary of what has been mentioned thus far, along with links to the series:

Last edited by Yoshi; 20 Feb 2015 at 04:43 PM.

2. I played a game with my little girl about 10 years ago for this very reason. It was a GBA game about the Disney princesses. I made her read every conversation in the game and let her try to figure out what to do next. I can look up the name for you later if you want it.

This is a great idea for a thread with all of the TNL babies these days.

By the way, I used the GC and the GBA player for this and it worked out well being able to sit there and assist when she needed it.
    Last edited by Glass Joe; 18 Feb 2015 at 09:01 AM.

3. How about mario and luigi superstar saga?

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe View Post
    I played a game with my little girl about 10 years ago for this very reason. It was a GBA game about the Disney princesses. I made her read every conversation in the game and let her try to figure out what to do next. I can look up the name for you later if you want it.
    Was it a decent game? Now that she outgrew her Dora and Diego stuff (anyone have a little one who would like these BTW?), I'm trying to avoid the licensed drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    How about mario and luigi superstar saga?
    That's a good call and adds the action/RPG dimension I think.

Neir

Princess Maker 2.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Was it a decent game? Now that she outgrew her Dora and Diego stuff (anyone have a little one who would like these BTW?), I'm trying to avoid the licensed drivel.
    It was a decent fetch quest game but it was very basic. If I remember correctly, she was tasked with going around and freeing all of the princesses. You walked around in that top down Zelda view and if I'm not mistaken, there was 2D areas that broke things up. I may be confusing two different games though, it's been a while.

I would like to add Animal Crossing. The DS version was excellent and it is the perfect game to promote reading since kids and grown ups really love playing it. It can be very addicting though so you might want to limit her time on it.

Seconded. You guys can visit each others towns and bond via proxy.

9. Lily has a house on my Animal Crossing 3DS game. My vocab went through the rough with poorly translated jRPG's growing up. If Lily wants to play games maybe I'll suggest some of those to her.
    As is right now all she wants to do is tell me what to do in Minecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe View Post
    I would like to add Animal Crossing. The DS version was excellent and it is the perfect game to promote reading since kids and grown ups really love playing it. It can be very addicting though so you might want to limit her time on it.
    Is the DS one better than the 3DS one? My wife has the latter, and my mother has unlocked damn near literally everything in it.