Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2838404142

Thread: Remake Culture

1. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    It was the first game I imported so of course I forced myself into the pedestal camp despite never getting past the forest on my imported copy or the teleporting guy on my domestic.

I finally finished it on Vita two years ago and remember having fun despite it reiterating everything Parasite Eve said, but finding big, arcane words for PE's shorter, clearer ones in whatever the gameplay equivalent of a thesaurus is. But then that has kind of always been Matsuno's thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    I love Vagrant Story, and did finish it. The final boss fight is the best rhythm game I ever played. But I fear to go back because like ARBM pointed out, a lot of the things I liked about it then, like crafting the weapons, I would probably have no patience for now.
    Vagrant Story always felt like Medieval Metal Gear Solid, except way cooler.

Even if the gameplay doesn't hold up now, no other game has such an awesome setting.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

I wasn't into Vagrant Story the first time I had it because of all the weapon management (I traded it to Yoshi at some point) but I recently got it for Vita. I think I'm going be much more into it this time from what I have played.

3. Opa Walking

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    On a list of what needs to be updated or overhauled in Vagrant Story, the graphics are dead last.

I know you know this too. Here's how I know: you've never finished Vagrant Story.

You've tried to probably three times. Your most recent attempt ended at the (horrible) first boss. Your first two ended at either the (horrible) teleporting wizard or the (horrible) crab.

I can't think of a better example of a nerd darling game everyone loves the idea of playing more than playing. It's the inversion of Civilization V and VI where Steam is full of "Not Recommended" reviews from users with 700 hours on record.
    ...okay, yeah, that's close. ive restarted it 3x: once cause i never learned the weapon system properly, the other 2 cause fuck that mine cart area, that's where i stopped both times.

it's needlessly obtuse, sure, but so were bits of FF tactics, chrono cross, PE etc. your assessment is pretty close though, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    It was the first game I imported so of course I forced myself into the pedestal camp despite never getting past the forest on my imported copy or the teleporting guy on my domestic.

I finally finished it on Vita two years ago and remember having fun despite it reiterating everything Parasite Eve said, but finding big, arcane words for PE's shorter, clearer ones in whatever the gameplay equivalent of a thesaurus is. But then that has kind of always been Matsuno's thing.
    to an extent, yeah...also, Ivalice or whatever it was Matsuno's style was about all but carried games at times; in a market saturated with my-lady-my-lord tolkein wankery default settings, his worlds were more interesting.

and it's not like being a JRPG fan didn't make one highly predisposed to putting up with all kinds of gameplay fuckery before & during that era too

are you extra salty cause you paid a markup ordering from diehard gamefan or something? cause they sold me on tail of the fucking sun and i never forgave them

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    A 4k version on 8th gen hardware is the dream.
    oh my god
    this vision is only surpassed by my strong desire to see Space Harrier and maybe Panzer Dragoon revitalized in VR

Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Vagrant Story always felt like Medieval Metal Gear Solid, except way cooler.

Even if the gameplay doesn't hold up now, no other game has such an awesome setting.
    that's a pretty good take, yeah
    i mean there's no way it'd be re-released without like a tutorial fairy who stops you from hitting a dragon with a blunt spear and lectures you about piercing weapons
    http://backloggery.com/irishninja/sig.gif