Page 1 of 42 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Remake Culture

1. Remake Culture

TLOU Remastered. Halo: Master Chief Collection. Ico / Shadow of the Colossus HD collection. Trilogies of Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, God of War, and Devil May Cry - all remastered. Journey released for PS4 with updated graphics about thirty minutes after the original PS3 release (year and a half, who's counting).

One year later, GTAV released with minor upgrades (aside from "landbreaking" 1st person mode) across all platforms with a higher entry price.

Point being, lot of games are being remade today. That's obvious. What's more interesting is what the hardcore market (i.e. you) makes of all of this.

I'm torn. I love revisiting older games with updated visuals, and too often feel like I'm not spending enough time with my favorite games in favor of marching onto the next title in the ole backlog. Thus, HD remakes are a great opportunity to revisit those favorites.

Same time, I'd prefer these high profile developers known for producing AAA material focus on AAA sequels, if not all new IP entirely.

At the end of the day I love to hate remake culture. I wish it wasn't around, but I'm buying Majora's Mask 3D day 1.

If the question is, would I rather A) play Half-Life 2 rendered on the latest Crytek engine w/ most updated PC graphics, or B) inseminate Angelina Jolie on a daily basis for the rest of my life, I would opt for B). Just barely though. I'm open to dissenting opinion re: Jolie boning v. GOAT in HD.

In closing: worthless if not bloodborne
    Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 10 Dec 2014 at 10:53 PM.

2. I told people we were going to get remakes of games really close to today, and we'll get remakes of remakes

but I was scoffed at

There are remakes that I really want to see (and are imminent or realistic) though:

Motorstorm Collection HD
    Gears of War Collection HD

I'd kill for a PGR or Rallisport Collection, but those aren't happening

(I guess I should say 'remasters', whatever)
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 09 Dec 2014 at 05:16 PM.

3. It's kind of sad. Gamers used to bemoan that the industry was full of sequels that made minimal or negligible changes to the original game. Now we're at the point where developers simply reproduce that original game, with no notable changes besides graphics. I wonder how things could possibly get worse from here, sure they will though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    we'll get remakes of remakes
    Yes, we will.

5. GOod games are good, I'd rather play a great game at HFR and 1080p than get a bunch of this dumb ass shit we get now

6. My argument is, if we already bought the original game at full retail, shouldn't we be allowed to upgrade to the remaster for free or a nominal fee? I don't like the idea of paying for one game 2+ times.

7. I don't give a damn, I have an nVidia Shield

im rich bitch

(however, this discount is becoming a very common practice in the PC space, moreso with non-uberblockbusters)

8. Don't get me wrong, I'm rich

I would just rather feel I'm not getting hoodwinked, and allocate my funds for top shelf whiskey imho

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden View Post
    My argument is, if we already bought the original game at full retail, shouldn't we be allowed to upgrade to the remaster for free or a nominal fee? I don't like the idea of paying for one game 2+ times.
    This already happens some on PC. The Metro games are a very recent example.

10. That's really cool.

I own Macs and consoles so I was unaware. Appreciate the heads up Yosh