Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Crew (PC, PS4, 360/One)

The Crew (PC, PS4, 360/One)

I was surprised to find that this game didn't have a thread, especially since it apparently turned out well. This especially sounds crazy:

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer
    Still, no-one could accuse The Crew of failing to fill its world with things to do on the long road to riches. There are tens of hours' worth of activities, almost all of them playable in co-op. This is a substantial racing game and particularly committed pedallers can tackle the Faction Missions, Ivory Tower's automotive take on MMO raids. They vary in length but one of the longest, Landmark Tour, will take a bladder-rupturing 4 hours of continuous driving.

2. I heard it launched as a mess, but I think I am going to pick it up this week

That Eurogamer article makes this game sound amazing.

4. I do want to try this just to drive cross country in a game, but it doesn't look that good...

5. I'll be the guinea pig. I bought it

Good man. I'm curious whether this or Driveclub is better.

7. If you could put Horizon's physics in this world, that would be the best open world racer ever. It really is enormous and not bland (not a great looking game, I meant that it's not just sparse nothingness). I bet this map is 4x the size of FH2, if not far bigger. I wouldn't know yet since I've spent an hour in Detroit, and that's like 3% of the map. The scoring system is well done at first glance, you'll want to revisit events to get better medals. As it stands, many of the cars control pretty poorly. I did get a new car and it was better, so that's cool.

Driveclub is a better racing game, no question about it. This feels like GTA: The Racing Missions slightly refined. But I am going to keep on with this for a bit.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 11 Dec 2014 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    I wouldn't know yet since I've spent an hour in Detroit
    Rest in peace.

Thanks for the early impressions. You might have noticed that I'm a stubborn son of a bitch, so between the promised PS+ version of Driveclub and the fact that this is tainted with UPlay, I have some time for your deeper recommendation.

9. I picked up The Crew as well, and I'm enjoying it so far, despite its numerous faults The game is ugly as fuck, and it looks like an upscaled PS2 game on a good day, but it can almost be forgiven because of just how massive the map is. The cars control really freaking wonky too, but I got used to it after a few hours. The most glaring flaw with the game is it's tendencies to kick me offline at random times. There is nothing more infuriating than trying to play through the single player campaign, and almost finishing first in a difficult race, before the game kicks you back to the title screen, suddenly, because the servers are down. Needing to be online to play a single player game is such bullshit.

It's just a shame that the game starts you off in Detroit, because that's by far the ugliest and most uninteresting locale i've been to. Once you get out of Detroit and start doing missions in Kansas, St. Louis, and Chicago the course design and challenges start to get far more interesting.

This game reminds me of Cruis'n USA, mixed with Test Drive Unlimited, and a dash of Fast and Furious' storyline for good measure. It's certainly a nice mixture that serves up some big, dumb, fun.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    If you could put Horizon's physics in this world, that would be the best open world racer ever. It really is enormous and not bland (not a great looking game, I meant that it's not just sparse nothingness). I bet this map is 4x the size of FH2, if not far bigger. I wouldn't know yet since I've spent an hour in Detroit, and that's like 3% of the map. The scoring system is well done at first glance, you'll want to revisit events to get better medals. As it stands, many of the cars control pretty poorly. I did get a new car and it was better, so that's cool.

Driveclub is a better racing game, no question about it. This feels like GTA: The Racing Missions slightly refined. But I am going to keep on with this for a bit.
    Damn. I'm starving for a racing game beyond NFS. Guess Drive Club it is - poor control would drive me nuts.