Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4k Displays

1. I'd be more worried about the suspect response rate of a cheap monitor if it were being my monitor.

IMO of course.

2. In an ideal world these would be decent panels without any of the "THIS IS A TV" post processing that causes all of the garbage input lag and it would be amazing.

But it probably isn't that.

3. I am most concerned about the input lag, for sure. There is a distinct possibility that it will drive me up the wall.

I actually ordered it to my parent's house so I would have something to mess with while I'm there for a few days (and to buy myself the illusion of a magical present under the tree?) ... I will report my findings soon.

I'm thinking I'm going to upgrade my video card, though. Someone on another forum just tested out a 6900 series card and confirms that the HDMI does not output 4k. There's still a possibility (a probability, perhaps) that my Displayport-out with an active adapter would do 4k, but fuck it, I just got a salary job so I'm spending

Now the question is: GTX 970? R9 290? Something more modest? Gah... any advice?

4. Go balls deep with the 970.

5. Go balls deep with closing an open thread you filthy casual.

6. Balls deep

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ballsdeep.PNG 
Views:	174 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	75720

7. Yeah, the 970 and 980 are the 4k beasts. You'll have to turn off all of the filters to get a decent frame-rate with a single card @ 4k.

8. Probably won't use the 4k until tomorrow but the 970 is incredible. Instantly turned everything up to Ultra on Far Cry 4 and it's smooth as a baby's boom boom at 1080. (Then I noticed there are some additional nVidia-only options, and if I turn all of THOSE on too, then the framerate starts to drop. I need to install an FPS overlay or something.)

My favorite feature with the 970 was one I hadn't expected at all. The built-in H264 hardware encoder and the Shadowplay software. It's like having a DVR while gaming. Did something cool in the last few minutes? Just hit your hotkey and a video file is magically saved! Wow... It's also just as simple for manual on/off recording and the file sizes ain't horrendous. Cool!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Toupee View Post
    I need to install an FPS overlay or something.
    nope, don't ruin it

10. INITIAL IMPRESSIONS. This started out much smaller, but every time I typed "I wonder how this or that would be," I went off and tried it. So...

For $339 I am super pleased with this. If you are willing to hop around a few different modes, it can accommodate any task.

First the great stuff: 4k is stunning!

Images look gorgeous. I'm still in a bemused state of searching for 4k wallpaper worthy pictures and just watching them rotate on my desktop. It's like the resolution of a Retina Macbook Pro but blown up bigger than your head. Video, if you can find it, is mind-blowing. And video is just fine at 30hz. I personally can't stand the "Hobbit 48fps" (or higher) video look, so this is 100% fine for me. (Finding videos to watch is another story, but hey, future proofing here.)

Text looks stellar. Web browsing is a hoot, and there's tons of real estate for many windows onscreen at once. (I need to dive into AutoHotKey and figure out how to save their positions or something. Since this is an HDTV, when you power it off, windows "forget" where they are. Lame, I know, but a common HDTV issue.)

I really can't wait to CREATE some stuff with this thing. Proofing InDesign documents for work (newsletters!) just got a WHOLE lot more fun. Fonts are just so fucking pristine! If you're working in print at all, this is an enormous step up from 1080. And I can't wait to do some video editing. Think of all the tracks! [Okay, I just did some quick Premiere tests, and it is an incredible experience. The 30hz is perfect for footage from my Nikon D5100 and the screen real estate is just insane. I have Windows 10 magnification up halfway because I'm about an arm's length and a half from the screen, and even then the default interface can fit 16 basic timelines, the monitor window is huge, and plenty of room for other windows as you like them. Shit, I may need to get to work on that complex historical project I've been putting off...] On the whole the 2014 Adobe CC suite seems to scale nicely at 4k, and the same goes for Windows 10 as a whole. There are minor issues but I'm sure the improvements will continue to come at a steady clip.

It has one big flaw, and that is the 30hz limitation at 4k. I'll say this: if you're not used to 30hz (I was using 60hz almost exclusively for probably the last decade) it is, out of the box, a little disappointing at first. The main issue is with animation, honestly. Opening a new tab in Firefox: that animation will look a little choppy. Minimizing a Window: that will look a little choppy.

This is a unit that is great if you are willing to tinker and do some research. I've pushed the 4k resolution up to 31hz and some say 33 is possible. Installing a custom firmware allows you to unlock the "pixel clock" and create custom resolution/refresh rate profiles (EDID's). Whatever I have configured currently feels a lil' bit better than how it felt right out of the box. Mouse lag is, I'm glad to report, a "non-issue" (as many Amazon reviewers note). Typing lag is a "non-issue". (And I'm the type of person who will return many a wireless keyboard model if the typing doesn't feel snappy enough. Oh, 2005.)

[Side note: the first computer I plugged into this was a 2014 Macbook Pro. There was NOTICEABLE mouse lag. I could stop moving the mouse and still see the cursor move. THAT is unacceptable. I don't know if it's a Mac issue or if I've resolved it with firmware updates because I haven't plugged my Mac back in yet, but I'll let you know.]

This thread over here at overclocking.net has proven instrumental. I read all 55 pages (at the time! it's still fairly active which is great.) before the TV arrived so I was prepared to do a lot of tweaking. It does prove to be the type of thing that, with a little trial-and-error, soon starts to make sense. If anyone is interested I will write a "walkthru" of what I did to set things up. (Short story: Turns out the regular old nVidia Control Panel is actually a good way to create custom resolutions, rather than messing around with toastyx's CRU tool. And I'm still not sure if I actually needed to use the nVidia pixel patcher to unlock different hz settings or if I could have done it all straight away in nVidia CP. It works well though.)

Which brings me to the other very important aspect of this TV: How do the non 4k modes look?

The short answer is that 1080p @ 120hz* is AMAZING. It is so god damn buttery smooth it makes me feel like my computer has an erection that is constantly hard as fuck but I can't see it because I don't have x-ray vision. (Maybe I shouldn't have eaten a pot brownie before writing this...) Seriously, you will feel like a pimp that knows exactly where to position the mouse cursor the first time every time. And games are nuts. I've only tried Metal Gear Solid 5 and I'll try Far Cry 4 very soon, but the framerate is wicked sweet and you can soooooak it up. I expect to be spending a lot of time in this mode.

*120hz was not an option out of the box but a custom firmware did the trick for me.

And frankly this monitor is a joy to use as any other 39" 1080p monitor I've used, and probably even moreso because of that refresh rate. And it's very sharp! Need to do further research on 4:4:4.

Colors may not be Retina-perfect (and I'm still calibrating) but they are quite nice. The viewing angle is VERY good from side-to-side and looking at it from above is still perfectly functional but you will see colors change a bit if you move down to be in line with it.

I'm also trying a few other custom resolutions, like 1440p, which can run fine at 60hz, and apparently at 72hz (haven't got that to work yet) although the scaling seems a little weird to me. Same deal with 2560x1600 (also works at 60hz). These modes could be cool for gaming. I also hear 3200x1800 works at up to 47hz, which sounds intriguing, but I cannot get to work at more than 30hz for some reason. More on these later.

tldr: 4k is awesome and the 30hz is not a dealbreaker, especially if willing to use other modes, like the excellent 1080p/120hz. Honestly, if you are on the market for a 39" 1080p display this is awesome for the price.

FUTURE TESTS
    gaming at 4k resolution
    more custom resolutions
    Mac testing
    4:4:4 chroma