Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Leftovers (HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    Damon Lindelof
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    lack of an explanation
    Makes sense.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people, and that's one of our biggest fears. The biggest problem with horror stories is that at some point the supernatural element is explained and usually gives the characters goals and now it's an action movie. Having something huge like this happen and providing no answers while showing the effects sounds great. It's right up his alley of making up cool shit without worrying about consequences writing style.

The vast majority of Lost was ad-lib bullshit trying to cover for everything they made up without explanation or thought past "this is cool" in the first season, which was admittedly very entertaining.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. I should probably clarify that the concept was introduced in the novel by Tom Perrotta (who is co-writing and adapting the series with Lindelof), and no explanation is given there for The Departure either. Ever.

People disappearing isn't really the point of the book or the show anyway. There are mild supernatural elements, but nothing like the insanity we saw in later episodes of Lost. Honestly, the only thing the two shows really have in common is telling personal stories that focus on a handful of characters per episode.
    Last edited by No One; 31 Dec 2014 at 12:30 AM.

3. Anyone watching this? So far I like S2 more than S1. Not that S1 was bad. It's just...different. Like it knows it has a secret and it revels at it being the only one that knows it and rubs it in your face...sorta?

4. I'm a couple episodes behind, but yeah. The wife and I binged on the first season a month ago (HBO Now + infant = why not, might was well, not going anywhere).

I don't understand why this show doesn't have more buzz. It's so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. This is probably one of the most unique, insanely beautiful, and ridiculously depressing shows I've ever seen. It's a masterpiece - and no idea why it has no buzz whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

6. I know why.

7. I can't wait until you tell us so I can ignore it and move on.

8. This season has been better than the first since it's not only about sadness.

Matt can't catch a break though.

9. This HBO show also has the most dongs in it since Oz.

This past episode was like a terrible nightmare - like you have to go through all these stupid quests just to get back in the place and then surprise! still stuck outside place. It was fucking with my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

10. HBO usually has really well done opening credits but the first season's opening credits were kind of cheap looking... I was a little surprised but got over it.

The opening credits for season two is ten times worse. Jesus.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.