Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Leftovers (HBO)

1. The Leftovers (HBO)

Has anyone else watched this? I marathoned the first season over the extended weekend with my wife and am impressed, even with Damon Lindelof's involvement. It's based on a book that proposed an interesting scenario: one day, without any explanation as to why, 2% of the world's population simultaneously vanishes without a trace. Religious nutjobs immediately claim the Rapture has taken place, new and increasingly bizarre cults arise from the shared sense of loss and everything from that point forward is tainted by the depressing lack of closure. Nobody ever returns.

The show basically uses that as a backdrop to tell the stories of a handful of characters living in a small town in New York, all of whom have been impacted by "The Departure" in some way. It's really fucking depressing a lot of the time, but the cast is decent (Chris Eccleston, Paterson Joseph, Tom Noonan, Scott Glenn, Liv Tyler, Justin Theroux going for some kind of f-bomb record, etc) and it's got a way of hooking you the same way Twin Peaks did at its best. It apparently did well enough that it's been picked up for a second season.

2. The worst show.

3. I was hoping this was the name of an Expendables TV show starring washed up TV action stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    The worst show.
    Now I know it's a good show.

5. I liked it well enough. People getting hung up on the lack of an explanation are dummies.

6. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    I liked it well enough. People getting hung up on the lack of an explanation are dummies.
    That's the least of this show's problems.

7. Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    Damon Lindelof's involvement
    Aaaaaaaaand I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

8. I have a hard time giving a fuck about plots with people disappearing and reappearing out of time.

9. Isn't that pretty much just "actor walks off stage" in anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have a hard time giving a fuck about plots with people disappearing and reappearing out of time.
    Good thing that doesn't happen in this series, then.