Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 79101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread: 2015 FINISH HIM!!

1. 04) Nayuta no Kiseki (PSP)
    Falcom brings back the platforming that has been absent from the Ys series' last two installments and puts it in a new IP featuring Nayuta and his fairy sidekick Noi. With Ys sticking to the no-jump party system, hopefully Nayuta is to be part of a series and not just a one-off.

Each of Terra's 4 continents is split up into several stages that can be retried to improve your rating. Clearing a stage gets you a rating of 1-3 stars- one is guaranteed, with others awarded for finding all major items (open all treasure chests and smash all large purple crystals), and the "mission" (a special challenge such as "clear this stage in 1:30", "kill 25 enemies with magic", "don't fall more than 10 times", etc). The quest system is in there also. Unlike Trails in the Sky, you have the whole chapter to do a quest. A really neat thing here is the Astrolabe, which allows the season to be changed on a continent once its Master Gear is found. That makes for major differences in a stage during other seasons- new and more challenging enemies show up, and the stage layout itself will differ in spots while featuring new hazards.

One other thing I liked was the return of the push-box puzzles that Xanadu Next introduced. There's a cooking system like TitS, but the foods you eat also give varying amounts of EXP. A chain system like Felghana's is used, but instead of a EXP gain multiplier it offers perks at certain counts like STR/INT boosts, more mira earned for kills, or enhancements of certain techniques. Chains over 99 can be racked up, but getting hit will reset the counter. Gear Crafts are obtained at points in the game such as Gear Buster (have Noi slam into certain obstacles to break them) or Gear Drive (she'll encase Nayuta in a gear to enable him to do a Turrican style roll). GC use is limited by a craft gauge which overheats for a few seconds if the energy is depleted.

While XSEED has yet to touch this one, there's a "Nayuta: Endless Trails" fan translation patch out there that's progressed quite quickly. While it has a few typos and still needs some work before completion, it does break the language barrier to make the game fully playable. The game's story is good and does throw in some twists.

2. I finished The Order. Not bad but it's nowhere near Gears quality when it comes to combat. Also the cover/movement system is a bit meh.

3. also beat a co-op run of the new Borderlands. It was ok.

4. Brothers: The Tale of Two Sons. Better than I thought it would be. Really liked the way it looked and was a fun little adventure. Nice variety of locations and while it wasn't difficult to get through puzzles, they variety was nice. Controls never feel perfect because it's really easy to cross the characters over on screen and it's a mind fuck to try to move a character one way and see the other move (a lot of walking into walls). Helps to keep the big brother on the left side of the screen and the little brother on the right as much as possible. Surprise ending too.

5. Went through Sonic Advance 1 and 2 over the past two weeks. Gonna try and finish up SA 3 for March and then move onto the Rush games.

Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    04) Nayuta no Kiseki (PSP)
    Falcom brings back the platforming that has been absent from the Ys series' last two installments and puts it in a new IP featuring Nayuta and his fairy sidekick Noi. With Ys sticking to the no-jump party system, hopefully Nayuta is to be part of a series and not just a one-off.

Each of Terra's 4 continents is split up into several stages that can be retried to improve your rating. Clearing a stage gets you a rating of 1-3 stars- one is guaranteed, with others awarded for finding all major items (open all treasure chests and smash all large purple crystals), and the "mission" (a special challenge such as "clear this stage in 1:30", "kill 25 enemies with magic", "don't fall more than 10 times", etc). The quest system is in there also. Unlike Trails in the Sky, you have the whole chapter to do a quest. A really neat thing here is the Astrolabe, which allows the season to be changed on a continent once its Master Gear is found. That makes for major differences in a stage during other seasons- new and more challenging enemies show up, and the stage layout itself will differ in spots while featuring new hazards.

One other thing I liked was the return of the push-box puzzles that Xanadu Next introduced. There's a cooking system like TitS, but the foods you eat also give varying amounts of EXP. A chain system like Felghana's is used, but instead of a EXP gain multiplier it offers perks at certain counts like STR/INT boosts, more mira earned for kills, or enhancements of certain techniques. Chains over 99 can be racked up, but getting hit will reset the counter. Gear Crafts are obtained at points in the game such as Gear Buster (have Noi slam into certain obstacles to break them) or Gear Drive (she'll encase Nayuta in a gear to enable him to do a Turrican style roll). GC use is limited by a craft gauge which overheats for a few seconds if the energy is depleted.

While XSEED has yet to touch this one, there's a "Nayuta: Endless Trails" fan translation patch out there that's progressed quite quickly. While it has a few typos and still needs some work before completion, it does break the language barrier to make the game fully playable. The game's story is good and does throw in some twists.
    This seems like a really fun game - I'll give the translation a shot on my OUYA later.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 28 Feb 2015 at 07:30 PM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Went through Sonic Advance 1 and 2 over the past two weeks. Gonna try and finish up SA 3 for March and then move onto the Rush games.

This seems like a really fun game - I'll give the translation a shot on my OUYA later.
    It looks great on Win PPSSPP at 1920 x 1200. And there is something MAJOR after the credits: The After Story is unlocked! Your level and equipment will carry over. Other season/continent combinations that weren't previously available can happen as well (e.g. Oltapia in Winter). I wouldn't mind seeing this remastered for PS4.

The BGM for a stage is different when you revisit it in other seasons. JDK has put a lot of variety into this soundtrack.

Something else Falcom related that bears mentioning: Gurumin goes to Steam on 3/30. No price is listed but I'd guess somewhere from $10-20.

7. Resident Evil Revelaitons 2 Turns out I had been spelling the word "Revelaitons" wrong my whole life. 10/10. G.O.A.T. Pure majesty. Beats out Ocarina by a slim margin - the only reason LoZ:OoT holds a candle is because ocarina proves time to be a fallible, man-made concept

8. lol

9. The Fall - That was a really cool little game. Some of those puzzles were pretty out there in an old-school adventure game kind of way what the shit at that baby one, but it was totally worth it.

10. 1. Kirby's Rainbow Curse

just kidding i couldn't push myself through

1. Kirby's Canvas Curse

Kirby hits the ground rolling in this game. In Rainbow Curse, he starts each level completely still and you have to poke him to get him moving. That says it all. That shows how both developers thought about their respective games and what both games think of you right there.

I'm glad both games find metaphors for themselves in their first two seconds of gameplay because thinking of my own is hard.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 01 Mar 2015 at 11:03 PM.