Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1525272829303133 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread: 2015 FINISH HIM!!

1. You can skip the recorders if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    SMB1's physics still blow my mind. How did they get that little skid when you change directions at full speed so right, both in animation and momentum? Pac Land doesn't move like that; can't drop a booty like that. Most games today don't get it right, either. Characters feel more like mouse cursors than actual people occupying actual space with actual mass.

That little skid is nothing short of a miracle, really. Try to think about how the game would play without it. I probably wouldn't have paid any attention to videogames if not for that skid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    That skid, and the changing directions mid jump. The physics are impeccable.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they Edisoned that shit and literally tried just about every integer combination for whatever equation handles each part of mario's movement.

That, or they George Lucused it and it was just dumb luck and trying. They just typed in some code, and it combined with the hardware was the only thing it could do.

Finished Mother on the NES. It was actually really good! Wasn't grindy or anything, dunno what is up with people. By the time you make it through an area you're just about ready for the next.

There are some really weird design decisions and I definitely used maps for the maze-like dungeon areas but overall I really liked playing this game!

4. I found that by frontloading my first character like in Earthbound, it made the rest ok.

The encounter rate was the main issue.

5. Yeah, it's not that it's grindy it's the horrible encounter rate.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Is it as bad as Vay? I could never finish Vay today.

I didn't have a problem with the encounter rate. Felt fine and, like I said, was tuned so that by the time I was done traversing an area I was ready for the next. Perfect.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

8. 2. Dracula X: Chi no Rondo

uploadfromtaptalk1439787979184.jpg

I'll come clean. I never really dug into this game before this afternoon. I certainly hadn't finished it. Found an old Wii 2000 points card, downloaded it, and marathoned it in one sitting continuing 25 times.

Every enemy presents a little game of Punch-Out. Every boss presents a little level. The attention paid to enemy placement is really something. I love how the game introduces a new enemy in an otherwise empty screen, then asks you to beat the same enemy while dealing with a second threat (a bird, another enemy coming in from the left, uneven terrain) on the next screen.

And the craftsmanship on these sprites and backgrounds, man. Those moths that flock to the next candle when you break theirs. That's love.

If I'm disappointed with anything, it's the boilerplate Dracula fight.

Good man. I continue to hope that it won't be my favorite game forever, simply because of what that would mean for the quality of what would replace it. To put it into perspective, it would take something like taking Bloodborne's gameplay and theme and combining it with The Witcher III's scope and writing. Good luck.

10. It really is ridiculously good. I think the last time I played a game of any substantial length from beginning to end like that (and then kept playing) was the day P.N.03 came out. I got a few stages into the bottom half of the stage map before deciding I should save some for later. I think I was over 80% completion when I finally went to bed.

Trying and failing to duck the axe knight's high shot in Stage 1 was when I realized this game meant business.